Question Regarding Bridges

Nerdo

Morning Y'all,

For the recent build that I've ordered, I specc'd for a hardtail, vintage fender bridge, and ordered the bridge with the body. Looking into it, I realized that I don't usually like that bridge type, as the things that hold the strings (Sorry a bit of a noob), tend to scratch my wrist when palm muting and the like. Should the pre-drilled holes for this type of bridge be compatible with any other brand/type hardtail bridges?
Sorry to ask such rookie questions on these forums, but I've never done this before! The longer I wait for my order, the more I start to doubt that I've done it right!

Thanks,
Sean

Some will, but you have to be careful. Through the years, Fender and other companies have add different designs, with different string spacing, saddle width, saddle length, offset screws, etc.

Pretty much if it's advertising to fit a vintage-spec Fender tremolo, it'll work.

These are popular, but not cheap...about $50 a set in the U.S.
Highwood Contoured Vintage Saddles for Strat
https://www.highwood-guitarparts.com/

Some people just buy shorter work screws, your mileage may vary.

That's not a problem ... everyone (me at least) fixes that eventually (though some people like the vintage saddles).  You just replace the saddles only .... (after you've installed the bridge and got it working) I recommend replacement with with graph tech saddles, the steel ones with the insert.  Done that a couple of times.  You're perfectly fine, don't look back.

I LOVE the Babicz Full Contact Bridges.  Much smoother on the hand and they will literally double the acoustic unplugged volume of the guitar which, IMHO translates to better tone and more sustain.  I use them on all my builds except my Jerry Garcia Alligator replica.  I prefer the less expensive "Z" Series as I think they look better without the big "Babicz" emblazoned on the bridge.  You can also get just the Babicz saddles and retrofit a standard Fender type hardtail.

Bill, tgo

Thank you all so much! This goes a long way to easing my fears that I'm going to mess this up :)

Back