Question on wiring up a double-neck Guitar / Bass - neck selector, yes or no?

vanstry

Quick question: On a double neck, do you have all the pickups for both necks always live? Or do you have a selector switch to switch between the different necks? I'm about to wire one up, so looking at my choices.

A selector switch is usually used to switch between necks or have both on at the same time.

Selector switch, either top or bottom.  I've never seen one with a 'both' switch, but if you have 4 arms, why not?

586px-MotherdurgaCrop.jpg

The reason I ask is that the 'kit' I bought, doesn't do a selector switch. Which is just weird to me (so I decided to put one in, and rewire the electronics because I just don't like the way it's done on the base side).
But i thought I'd ask here first, because I've not seen that many double necks up close and I thought it should have a selector.
Thanks for the answers, seems like everyone thinks it should have a switch.

Definitely gotta have a selector switch.

I have a hard enough time keeping the strings I'm not playing quiet on a single neck.

At this point I took the switch that was supposed to select bass pickups (Neck, bridge, or both) and turned that into a selector switch. Honestly, I've been playing bass for years and I don't recall ever seeing a bass with a selector switch. That's what volume knobs are for! (Or balance if you play an Ibanez).

It had two volume (one for bass, one for guitar) and two tone knobs.
I'm putting in four dual pots (Warmoth is the only place selling these that I could find, oddly enough) and each pickup will have its own tone and volume. I was orignally thinking of only one tone control for the bass, but I didn't want to break up the symmetry.

I'm also putting in a second 'stereo' jack, where the two channels will be one for Guitar and one for Bass, so the ability to have separate amps exist. I will have to put in a quick blow fuse, in case someone plugs into both and then shorts everything out by putting the selector in the wrong position.

vanstry said:
Honestly, I've been playing bass for years and I don't recall ever seeing a bass with a selector switch. That's what volume knobs are for! (Or balance if you play an Ibanez).

Um, 4001/4003's for one.

Back