Question on pedal order:

Mapleg4

In wich order would you put these pedals on a board?

Boss Tuner TU-2
Boss Noise Suppresson NS-2
Boss EQ
Morley Power Wah/Volume
DigiTech Whammy

My spontaneous thought would be:
Tuner -> Whammy -> Wah/Volume -> EQ -> NS

But since you don't mention any gain pedals (boost/fuzz/od/comp) I don't quite see the need for the NS. Does your amp have an effect loop? I'd probably put it there, and the EQ too, with the NS last in line before the power amp. Makes most sense to me, but as always ymmv.

/KB

kboman said:

But since you don't mention any gain pedals (boost/fuzz/od/comp) I don't quite see the need for the NS. Does your amp have an effect loop? I'd probably put it there, and the EQ too, with the NS last in line before the power amp. Makes most sense to me, but as always ymmv.

/KB

I would just be using amp dist + the eq for a solo mid boost. The EQ could give a little noise, right?

Try putting the noise gate in your effects loop, then.  Try the eq before the amp and in the effect loop before the noise gate.  See which one you like best.

Common dogma is to put the Wah first, or a Fuzz first if you do not use a wah.  The fuzz goes early because it tends to get a large effect from the volume knob on the guitar.  The Wah goes early because it seems to sound best early in the chain.  This doesn't mean you have to do that by any means, that is just what tends to happen.  The noise gate is usually last to limit the noise to the amp.  A lot of folks build an A/B/Y bypass pedals for the tuner, or use the one in the tuner.  It depends if you are a true bypass junkie or not.

Oh yeah, often times Wahs and Fuzz pedals do not play nice together, but it doesn't seem like that is in your effects chain.  Just a lil note.
Patrick

Most people have already said this, but there are NO rules when it some to pedal placement it's whatever works best for you, your rig, and the type of music you play, but for the record I'd agree with kboman.....

kboman said:

/KB

Mapleg4 said:
kboman said:

/KB

I would just be using amp dist + the eq for a solo mid boost. The EQ could give a little noise, right?

Gotcha. Clearly the thing to do is to move the pedals around, play extensively with every combination, and listen to the sounds you get. EQ pre/post-power amp depends on what kind of mid boost you want: pushing the preamp or accentuating the preamp.

These were my thoughts earlier:
Tuner first, because I would want as clear a signal as possible when tuning.
Whammy second, so the signal is still clear to allow for good tracking.
Wah/volume - as noted by Patrick, wahs like to be early(ish) in the chain. Also, volume pedal before gain pedals let you control the input to these (I hate fiddling with the volume control on my guitar, feet are better).
EQ - depends on your needs, see above.
NS - this should be the last stop before the power amp to really catch all unwanted noise.

Any future fuzz pedal(s) I'd put before the tuner, delay before the NS.
Etcetera... this is no exact science, which makes it all the more fun!

/KB

Back