Question for the bass players: Which D'addario set is most like Swing Bass 66?

mayfly

Epic Member
Yep that's right:  I want to know which set of D'addario bass strings are the most like RotoSound Swing Bass 66.  Pro Steels?  Nickel Wounds?  Some sets better?  Why?

Please fill me in!

Swing bass are Stainless steel, so at a guess, Pro-Steels?

If you like them, why not just use Swing Bass strings?  :-\

I would have to agree.  I used to be a Swing Bass 66 player but now use Rotosound's PSDs. Love them. More work to install though.

PSD? POS more like...

Fiddly irritating things, if you don't get it perfect the first time the core is so brittle it just snaps off when you tried to adjust it..  :tard:

Maybe it's just me.... It's one of those things the first time you get it a bit wrong, second time a tiny bit wrong, 3 or more goes an you'll do it perfectly, except in the six months since the last did it you've forgotten how to do it and are back to square one...

Yeah, probably just me then.

amigarobbo said:
If you like them, why not just use Swing Bass strings?  :-\

'cause I'm working on a D'addario endorsement for the band.  Bass player is the last holdout.

D'Addario endorsement. Super cool.

I'm not a bass player, but I do use steel strings on guitar and I've used Rotosound, but now use D'Addario Pro Steels. I'm very happy with those. Sounds good, reasonably priced and pretty easy to get hold of.

Talking about flats I was really impressed with the Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinkys on Warmoth Fretless, they really did sound like round wounds, not necessary the best round wounds strings in the world, but I was so impressed I went out and bought a couple more sets of them. 

Wonder what the actual Roundwound bass srings versions sound like? I did try their 6 skinny string version and wasn't so keen, but as much as I love Stainless steel bass strings I don't like anything but nickel lead guitar strings.

Sorry, rambling again.

I've used D'addario strings for years ... and I've actually switched to Rotosounds!

The D'addario Flexsteels are probably the closest to Rotosounds.  I usually had to buy those online, though, as my local Long & McQuades only stocked the XL nickel wound for 5 string.

Well now.  It seems to me that as an endorsement...  Ask them to give him a set of everything they make, and have him try them.

ghotiphry said:
Well now.  It seems to me that as an endorsement...  Ask them to give him a set of everything they make, and have him try them.

errr - doesn't really work that way.  We're trying to get them interested in us, so we're trying to sell us as a platform to promote their products.  We want to be able to say stuff like "We'll mention you at shows, mention you in interviews and press releases, put you on the website, put you on CD covers, and yes the ENTIRE BAND uses D'Addario".

amigarobbo said:
PSD? POS more like...

Fiddly irritating things, if you don't get it perfect the first time the core is so brittle it just snaps off when you tried to adjust it..  :tard:

Maybe it's just me.... It's one of those things the first time you get it a bit wrong, second time a tiny bit wrong, 3 or more goes an you'll do it perfectly, except in the six months since the last did it you've forgotten how to do it and are back to square one...

Yeah, probably just me then.

I play a Lakland 5 string. Got 4 out of the 5 right the 1st time (core 1/8 inch over saddle). Lived with it for a while. Got all 5 right the second time. Now I just use the old strings to set up the new ones for the cones. The tone I feel is better.

***THREAD HIJACK!***

710EDAD0-6491-41CE-87EF-D0787B4B40F1_zpsobi6j8ju.jpg

I don't think I did it that badly, bearing in mind you have to adjust the intonation slightly to compensate for the only the windings going over the bridge. I cocked up the the 'B' String first time, it was too short tried to adjust, the core snapped and it end up with the main wraps over the bridge. I got a second set and replace only the 'B' String, which I still then got slightly too short,  :sad1:

Next time they will be perfect!  :toothy11:

Although to be honest I couldn't really tell much difference. with the full string or just the core over the bridge. On that bass the 'B' and even the last bottom notes on the 'E' sound sort of off, maybe it's just the bass? 90s Peavey Dyna bass.  :icon_scratch: Maybe 5 string Basses need a longer scale or something?  Wasn't overly taken with a 5 string bass to be honest. Just me of course.

Reading this thread makes me glad I don't play bass! I can restring a solid body guitar with a fixed bridge in 15 minutes and get it perfect every time.  :icon_jokercolor:

PSDs are the odd ones discussed. You have to position the "string end" yourself using a cone and collar so that only the core passes over the saddle. 99% of bass strings you don't have to worry about.

Mayfly said:
We're trying to get them interested in us, so we're trying to sell us as a platform to promote their products.  We want to be able to say stuff like "We'll mention you at shows, mention you in interviews and press releases, put you on the website, put you on CD covers, and yes the ENTIRE BAND uses D'Addario".

Then tell the bass player to use whatever D'Addario strings are in stock at the local shop and then STFU until you get the endorsement deal! No point going through this whole rigamarole if it's not definitely going to happen.

Back