QUESTION -Dunlop 6105: .090w x .055h

qwerty

I am going to be building something along the lines of a esp mII rosewood model.I was wondering what fret size would be closest to the Dunlop 6105: .090w x .055h.It looks like warmoth is a little wider.I am still not sure if i will go with the soilist body style or get creative with another choice.specs so far.1 5/8 width,compound radius,SS6105,standard thin,24 frets,floyd

Looking forward to getting mine,Considering no finish on the  neck and body so i can get it sooner.Not sure whether to get the black cherry burst  on alder with a maple top or  translucent colors?

I don't understand what you're asking. Warmoth offers 6105 fret wire, so if you already know you like 6105, then order 6105.

Personally, I find it to be much too narrow. 6150 is my fret of choice. Just a tiny bit shorter (not much) than the 6105, and a bit wider. The ESP M-II you speak of comes with 6100 Extra-jumbo.

I believe he is asking if warmoth offers anything closer to the actual Dunlop 6105 specs. The answer is no. That is the closest thing so that is why they refer to it as such.

Warmoth's "6105" fret wire really confuses me. I realize that 6105 is only a reference number, but their dimensions are quite different than all the other 6105's I've seen. Almost every other website and catalog lists the dimensions as .090 x .055. I've even ordered a Warmoth neck with 6105's, expecting it to be roughly the same height as my 6100's and obviously narrower. What I got felt like probably .010" shorter and half the width. It was like the old vintage Fender fret wire. I used the neck for probably a week and it's been a paper weight ever since.

In my pre Warmoth days I refreted necks and sometimes the trick was to use wide fret wire until the last 8 or so slots and then use narrow wire for the fingers to have a bit more space. To cover all the bases the only wire I use or recommend is SS 6105.
I checked the SS 6150 specs and surprisingly it has the same .047" height as the SS 6105. Warmoth noted size can vary batch to batch but nonetheless the combination of two fret sizes as mentioned above might be considered as a neck option or offering for those who like their necks more spicy.

That's an interesting idea.

I know what you mean about "pre-Warmoth" days. It doesn't make sense to fret/refret necks anymore. For what you have to charge, it's often a better deal to just put a new neck on.

Back