Question before first build

redmarkerdown

I am considering building my first warmoth guitar, but I have a couple quick questions.

How much work will need to be done to fit the pickups, bridge, etc.?  If any, in your experiences what have you run into?

My build would be a V body with Floyd Rose rear route and H-x-H pickup route.

Thanks

Pickups... all you need is a hand drill and a screwdriver.  FR... I can't even string one of those things, much less install one... better leave that question for someone else.

If you're not doing any finishing (painting) at all, it's basically just drilling screw holes, screwing stuff together, and some simple soldering. You'll need to know how to set up a guitar, at least roughly, and this is a good time to learn. The hard part is definitely finishing, and fitting odd parts that don't match the standard specs. If you have Warmoth paint it all for you, and order all your hardware from them, you pretty much need a set of good phillips screwdrivers (all three main sizes), a soldering iron, and a hand drill with a selection of small drill bits. Humbuckers are all basically the same size, unless you get something weird. You shouldn't have to 'fit' anything. Come back when you can be really specific about your plans, and maybe people here can spot potential problems. Some people (including me) have bought total beater guitars and modded them, to teach themselves about guitar construction, and for me at least that was helpful.

redmarkerdown said:
I am considering building my first warmoth guitar, but I have a couple quick questions.

How much work will need to be done to fit the pickups, bridge, etc.?  If any, in your experiences what have you run into?

My build would be a V body with Floyd Rose rear route and H-x-H pickup route.

Thanks

Most is pretty basic, the Floyd can be a little tricky. Make sure you tell them if you're going to have a recessed floyd or not is the most important. Cause if not then the neck pocket will have to be angled a bit. The sales person should mention this upon ordering. Also to have the holes for the bridge post drilled by them or not. May cost extra i don't remember. But the do prick punch the spots where they need to be drilled....Happy building..... :toothy10:

Kluson tuners were a bit of a challenge for me, but I'm guessing you probably chose a modern style tuner.  The electronics can be time consuming.  Other than that, the most daunting drilling will probably be the holes for the strap buttons.

Phrygian said:
Kluson tuners were a bit of a challenge for me, but I'm guessing you probably chose a modern style tuner.  The electronics can be time consuming.  Other than that, the most daunting drilling will probably be the holes for the strap buttons.
:eek:

DangerousR6 said:
Phrygian said:

LOL whatever... when you're drilling into a $500 guitar body, based on an estimated best guess placement and angle (added some simple centering measurements), you feel a little intimidated OK!  :)

Phrygian said:
DangerousR6 said:
Phrygian said:

LOL whatever... when you're drilling into a $500 guitar body, based on an estimated best guess placement and angle (added some simple centering measurements), you feel a little intimidated OK!  :)

That's what I thought when I got my vw body and the holes for the floyd studs weren't there....  :icon_scratch:

Anything on the the top or rear of the body I would have felt comfortable with, since I could use the drill press.  :)

Phrygian said:
Anything on the the top or rear of the body I would have felt comfortable with, since I could use the drill press.  :)
I took mine to work and set it up on a cnc mill...... :toothy10:

DangerousR6 said:
Phrygian said:

Show off!  I'm taking my wood, and going home!  And, I'm not buying any custom neck plate from you either!  LOL  :binkybaby:

Phrygian said:
DangerousR6 said:
Phrygian said:

Show off!  I'm taking my wood, and going home!  And, I'm not buying any custom neck plate from you either!  LOL  :binkybaby:
:laughing11: :eek:

Here is the plan thus far

V
Basswood
Floyd Rose Orig.
rear routed
h-x-h pickup Route
No Sidejack
No Control holes

"V" Warmoth "Pro" Construction
Maple
Wolfgang Contour
61GD Fretwire
Black Face Dots
Black Side Dots
Floyd Locking style
Vintage Style Tuner

PARTS
Kluson Tuners
Original Floyd Rose double locking
1 500k Pot
1 1/4" Mini Switch
1/2" Stereo Jack
1 Dome Knob
EVH D-Tuna
Dimarzio PAF Bridge DP223

I plan to finish with some spray paint using a guide I have for spray painting a guitar.  Would warmoth install the floyd if I ordered from them?

Thanks again

They would install the studs, which I assume is the hardest part to get right.  I havent installed a Floyd, so there could be other complexities I am not aware of. 

When you say spray paint, what exactly do you mean?  I'm hopeing we are not talking krylon here...

I received a guide on how to spray paint guitars from some custom builder so I would assume its the best way possible, I am just trying to avoid a huge price tag and I like that beat up look too so this seems the perfect route for me.

I too am concerned about alignment of the Floyd. Will Warmoth pre-drill the post holes for me?...

I had an Ibanez Iceman that I power sanded down and spray painted with Krylon. I loved that thing. I tried to use some sort of clear spray on top of it and it all just turned yellow and peeled off. Too bad the body was plywood or something and it started cracking bad at the neck joint (it didn't help that I used to bend the neck).

T.L. said:
I too am concerned about alignment of the Floyd. Will Warmoth pre-drill the post holes for me?...

Whichever bridge option you choose all of the holes are suppose to be there, unless you choose something non-standard like the Kahler tremolo or string through holes only.  As for DangerousR6's body, someone at Warmoth probably just had a bad day.

unm, yeah godrex I can totally see why you loved it.

to the OP: if you're just after a thrasher look, throw away the guide or whatever, and go get some standard spray cans in whatever colors and just have fun. If  it doesn't work out you can try a different paint job next month. Have your buddy draw in some bloody bat skulls or whatever. If you want to make it look nice, though it does take some work and warmoth's paint jobs are very cheap for what they are.

Phrygian said:
T.L. said:

Whichever bridge option you choose all of the holes are suppose to be there, unless you choose something non-standard like the Kahler tremolo or string through holes only.

Well that's good to hear. I thought they only did the routing. I wasn't sure if the post holes were drilled as well...

Back