question about fretboards and inlay. Gregg? Wylee??

Orpheo

Hi guys, I'm planning my newest project, and I have an idea about a neck I wanna have, butttt

warmoth wont offer this inlay! I know a company that will provide me a high-end fretboard, no radius, no frets, with custom inlay (ebony board in my case), but can I send that board to warmoth, so they can use that for a neck? if not, I'd have to let someone else make me the neck, and if W. wont do padouk/bubinga/zebrano/rosewood backs with flamed black korina tops, I might have to find it somewhere else  :sad1:

Hi Orpheo,

Yeah, won't work with someone else's fingerboards with inlay in it. That would be fraught with peril. Not sure about that other exotic thing you're talking about though.

Gregg said:
Hi Orpheo,

Yeah, won't work with someone else's fingerboards with inlay in it. That would be fraught with peril. Not sure about that other exotic thing you're talking about though.
the other exotic thing; the 'hardware'thing or the 'wood'thing? :)

what to you mean by 'fraught with peril'? dont know that expression, sorry...

but the point is taken, thanks :)

fraught means something like "full of" and peril is danger  - - so my guess is he means there's too many ways for things to go wrong if they were to attempt to use your custom fretboard.

GoDrex said:
fraught means something like "full of" and peril is danger  - - so my guess is he means there's too many ways for things to go wrong if they were to attempt to use your custom fretboard.
ah, thanks,my interpretation was a bit more creative I think, but absolutely wrong :icon_scratch: :D

To translate Gregg's response, no way Jose'!  I can see many challenges depending on fingerboard thickness, inlay thickness and composition, etc...

Can you clarify your exotic wood comments?  Are we talking body woods?

I thought W would sell a blank fretboard, you could get the inlays put on it, then back to W for installation on a neck?

They're probably afraid of splitting or breaking someone's precious $1500 fretboard when they can't personally vouch for quality or dimensions.  I don't blame them for this policy!

spauldingrules said:
They're probably afraid of splitting or breaking someone's precious $1500 fretboard when they can't personally vouch for quality or dimensions.  I don't blame them for this policy!

haha, no, the board I'm referring to is only 200$, including inlay :D

@ wylee: I'll send you the email I send to sales @ W.com personally, though I've put my question on a seperate topic in the subtopic 'body woods'.

Back