question about fretboards and inlay. Gregg? Wylee??

Orpheo

Hi guys, I'm planning my newest project, and I have an idea about a neck I wanna have, butttt

warmoth wont offer this inlay! I know a company that will provide me a high-end fretboard, no radius, no frets, with custom inlay (ebony board in my case), but can I send that board to warmoth, so they can use that for a neck? if not, I'd have to let someone else make me the neck, and if W. wont do padouk/bubinga/zebrano/rosewood backs with flamed black korina tops, I might have to find it somewhere else  :sad1:

simple

Staff member
Hi Orpheo,

Yeah, won't work with someone else's fingerboards with inlay in it. That would be fraught with peril. Not sure about that other exotic thing you're talking about though.

Orpheo

Gregg said:
Hi Orpheo,

Yeah, won't work with someone else's fingerboards with inlay in it. That would be fraught with peril. Not sure about that other exotic thing you're talking about though.
the other exotic thing; the 'hardware'thing or the 'wood'thing? :)

what to you mean by 'fraught with peril'? dont know that expression, sorry...

but the point is taken, thanks :)

GoDrex

fraught means something like "full of" and peril is danger  - - so my guess is he means there's too many ways for things to go wrong if they were to attempt to use your custom fretboard.

Orpheo

GoDrex said:
fraught means something like "full of" and peril is danger  - - so my guess is he means there's too many ways for things to go wrong if they were to attempt to use your custom fretboard.
ah, thanks,my interpretation was a bit more creative I think, but absolutely wrong :icon_scratch: :D

Wyliee

To translate Gregg's response, no way Jose'!  I can see many challenges depending on fingerboard thickness, inlay thickness and composition, etc...

Can you clarify your exotic wood comments?  Are we talking body woods?

tfarny

I thought W would sell a blank fretboard, you could get the inlays put on it, then back to W for installation on a neck?

spauldingrules

They're probably afraid of splitting or breaking someone's precious $1500 fretboard when they can't personally vouch for quality or dimensions.  I don't blame them for this policy!

Orpheo

spauldingrules said:
They're probably afraid of splitting or breaking someone's precious $1500 fretboard when they can't personally vouch for quality or dimensions.  I don't blame them for this policy!

haha, no, the board I'm referring to is only 200$, including inlay :D

@ wylee: I'll send you the email I send to sales @ W.com personally, though I've put my question on a seperate topic in the subtopic 'body woods'.