putting in bridge stud inserts

shanejw

I'd like to hear all the different ways you guys are doing this.  If you're using a drill press do you stick a piece of round stock or something in the chuck to actually push the insert in?

On my VW body they forgot to drill the holes, but they did pick punch the spots to be drilled. So i took it to work one night and set it up on a cnc mill and drilled the holes myself..... :laughing7:

One of these days I'll get my own cnc and tell that place to kiss my nuts...... :hello2:

Yeah, i wanted them to mount the studs, but since i was buying a hipshot trem that i didn't buy from them they said i had to do it myself.

I covered the body around the holes with slim cardboard and hammered them gently and carefully with a wooden hammer.
I wouldn't particularly recommend it but if you're careful it does the trick.
Also don't forget the ground wire if it's a hardtail bridge.

Hope this helps.

shanejw said:
I'd like to hear all the different ways you guys are doing this.  If you're using a drill press do you stick a piece of round stock or something in the chuck to actually push the insert in?

I have used a drill press. I put the post into the insert as far as possible, then held the post with the chuck. Also ever so slightly chamfered the edges of the hole so as not to damage the finish as the insert went in. It may also be a good idea to put a very small amount of wax ( not soap ) on the insert. This method worked quite well.

I have used a drill press to install studs and ferrules on several guitars.  It works like a champ! 

Back