put a third pickup in my Tele

Frank67

Dear fellow Warmoth enthusiasts,

A while ago a built a tele from Warmoth parts that I really fell in love with the longer I play. it is beautiful tobacco burst finished swamp ash tele with maple/ebony neck and barenuckle flat 50 pickups that are simply amazing. After a year or so  I felt that there were a few single coil tones that I couldn't get but that I wanted. So I took the guitar to a competent luthier who routed the hole for the third pickup and also installed t - I settled on a Seymour Duncan SSL-1 in reverse wound, reverse polarity (to give hum canceling in the intermediate positions).

A friend helped me to upgrade the electronics  - it is now featuring a 5 way megaswitch with S1 switching. Thus, there are 10 different tones available from the guitar. The first five are tele plus the two middle positions of a strat and the second five (with engaged S1) are fatter versions of those tone in which various "parallel" or "in series" combinations of the pickups
1. Middle & Bridge in Series
2. Neck & Bridge (Parallel)
3. Neck & Bridge in Series
4. All 3 Pickups (Parallel)
5. Neck & Middle in Series

I am extremely pleased with the outcome of the modifications. One has all the nice clean tele tones: the warm jazzy neck, the clear singing middle position and biting bridge (that I am admittedly not a big fan of) but also so much more: the two middle Strat type positions are great. The middle pickup brings that "glassy" sound that people like so much in Strats. Overdriven it sounds so much better with the S1 switch engaged. It takes out some of the "fizzyness" that I don't like in overdriven teles.

Gigged with the guitar a couple of times now and through my twin it sounds just gorgeous. Obviously I could have had it much cheaper had I decided from the start to order a three pickup tele from Warmoth ... but sometimes one is smarten in hindsight :)

Anyways, I just wanted to recommend this setting to all tele lovers - it turns the tele into a much more versatile guitar.

Enjoy music and guitars!

DSC_0109_zpsac3f2ccf.jpg

DSC_0119_zps7d3d4a71.jpg

Back