Push-Pull Switch Potentiometer Schematics

Cagey

Mythical Status
Is there a common design for the switches on push-pull switched pots for guitars? If so, does anybody know where a schematic could be found? Not a wiring diagram, a schematic. I need to know how the switches work electrically. Thanks for your help!

Seriously? :dontknow:

I've never seen them done any differently than this. At least in guitar parts land.

6780096989_d90cb3933d_z.jpg

Thanks! know it seems like a stupid question, but I just wanted to be certain.

Cagey said:
Thanks! know it seems like a stupid question, but I just wanted to be certain.

I cannot think of any other way to switch a two-position DPDT switch with six terminals.
Unless we assume for a moment, that the switch is not DPDT, despite that being the norm for push/pulls. In which case, the only thing you could do in two positions with six terminals would be 3PST switching. That wouldn't make very much sense for anything but series HPFs, output impedance-reducing resistors and coil cuts.

Cagey using a push-pull?

Has hell frozen over or is this for a friend?  ???

drewfx said:
Cagey using a push-pull?

Has hell frozen over or is this for a friend?  ???

Hehe! Yeah, they're for someone else. But, the idea seems to have merit...

Rather than a toggle or blade switch, he wants the volume control to switch between neck/bridge pickups, and the tone control to put them in parallel regardless of which pickup is currently selected. That gets you the three modes you normally get from a toggle. The thinking is that one less control cleans things up a bit aesthetically, and if you're switching between neck/bridge your hand is already on the volume knob so you can adjust level while you're at it.

I guess we'll see how that works out. Worst case, he doesn't care for it and we add a hole later to put in a toggle. There won't be any leftover or unusual holes to plug or otherwise disguise.

Back