Push/pull pot for tone/kill

DocNrock

Master Member
Has anyone ever done this?  I've ordered a single hum guitar with a single control.  Initially I was going to make it a volume control, but then thought about using a push/pull pot as a tone control which, when pulled out, acted like a "kill switch."

Any thoughts?

interesting idea, since most folks (myself included) run the volume up all the way anyway.

Actually, I lie - I do roll back on the volume for particular effects at times.  Still, it's an interesting thought.

Hmm, definitely worth the experiment.

I think I'd miss the volume control a bit too much, but I use it alot.  I like my EB vol pedal for some swells, but its not the same.

I occasionally roll off the volume to clean up the playing, but this guitar is not about clean, it is about full-tilt boogie.  I tend to use the tone control more than I use the volume.  I think that would be the case with this particular build.  I think I'm gonna try this.  Just ordered the body and neck yesterday, so it will be a good 12 weeks, anyway.

Doc, clear up my confusion.
Would the 'kill switch' defeat the tone circuit, or actually mute the guitar?

The only reason I ask is that it might be hard to create those Tom Morello style stacatto effects on a push pull pot as opposed to a proper switch.

jimh said:
Doc, clear up my confusion.
Would the 'kill switch' defeat the tone circuit, or actually mute the guitar?

The only reason I ask is that it might be hard to create those Tom Morello style stacatto effects on a push pull pot as opposed to a proper switch.

Sorry Jim, it would be to mute the guitar.  You are correct in that effect may be more difficult, but I don't think I've ever used that in my playing.  I've got other guitars with switches that if I was so inclined, I could pick up instead.  :icon_thumright:

I don't really see the point of it. It's an off switch for the guitar. OK, why not just turn the volume down? Or have two volumes and turn one off and leave one on and flip a toggle switch? It would make more sense to me as a switch or a button. With a button you can do a temporary off when you push it - a switch you can flick back and forth.

GoDrex said:
I don't really see the point of it. It's an off switch for the guitar. OK, why not just turn the volume down? Or have two volumes and turn one off and leave one on and flip a toggle switch? It would make more sense to me as a switch or a button. With a button you can do a temporary off when you push it - a switch you can flick back and forth.

Sorry Gary for not clarifying the layout:  single bridge pickup, single control, no switches.  I could always drill an additional hole for a switch, but if I could do that with a push/pull, why add switch?  At least that is my concept for this build.  If it worked, I just think it would be cleaner. 

I guess when you have 50 guitars you have to start coming up with ideas :icon_scratch:

Back