Purple Turtle Prince Tribute: 6057

new-killer-star

The first shipments arrived today for my purple tribute. I'm still waiting for stuff to arrive, but I hope to start some fret cleanup and dressing.

Everything looks really beautiful and on this build, I'm taking shortcuts (i.e. buying wiring harness) to get it assembled faster.

Body: Prince Tribute
Neck: Flame Maple vintage tint

Electronics:
Pickups: Righteous Sound Redwood
Wiring: Telecaster 4-way with treble bleed

Wiring Harness:
Here is the body with the pickguard set on top of it:

nLm1Dv0.jpg

And the neck with body as they arrived (sorry about the glare), the vintage tint finish is a perfect match.

YgjQjI7.jpg

Finally the backsides of the neck & body:

T8m6pBx.jpg

Looks really good with that neck. It'll be a spectacular guitar when finished.

Rgand said:
Looks really good with that neck. It'll be a spectacular guitar when finished.

I was a little worried with the stock image because I wasn't sure that the color would match or the flame would show up, but it looks much better than the showcase pictures.

I tried to do a test fit, but the neck doesn't even slide in right now, so I guess I will need to sand the neck pocket a bit. I um learned a lot about how not to do it from my first build years ago, so it should go better this time.

I'll post that one when I get a chance as well, it's been my primary guitar for 10 years so its nice and comfy looking...

And this one is actually my wife's guitar, she was a huge Prince fan and when I told her about this last month she seemed to think it would be a good idea to get this for her. I didn't complain one bit (she will still 'let' me play it).

BigSteve22 said:
Couldn't agree more, that neck looks like it was made for that body!

It sure does. Couldn't have asked for a better match-up.

Should look very good.

Perhaps its wording but you should not have to slide the neck into the pocket. The neck needs to be positioned over the pocket and pushed in from above as it is tapered.

stratamania said:
Should look very good.

Perhaps its wording but you should not have to slide the neck into the pocket. The neck needs to be positioned over the pocket and pushed in from above as it is tapered.

This, this, a thousand time this.

You guys are awesome, yes it was poor word choice on my part and I know not to slide it sideways, it is too tight a fit to drop in from above even with more than a little pressure.

I also appreciate the preventative help so thank you.

The wiring harness arrived today from Atlantic Custom and I attached it to the control plate.

CTS 250K Pots, treble bleed + 4-way switch...

Lc8RHfx.jpg

I know the point is a tribute to the Purple one...seems ashame to cover that beauty up with the tortoise shell

It still needs a setup to make it playable, but I put in a many hours this weekend assembling this and grabbed this late last night...

HMsVSNc.jpg

Great looking axe.  And the leopard-skin background is right on point for a Prince tribute.  Nice touch. 

new-killer-star said:
It still needs a setup to make it playable, but I put in a many hours this weekend assembling this and grabbed this late last night...

HMsVSNc.jpg

Looks like the pickguard is not a good fit based on the picture of the lower horn?
Got more pictures?

I'll get more pictures (in the daylight) soon in the next day or so (not today).

Regarding the pickguard, yes there isn't a lot of gap between the upper and lower and the issue appears to be that the pickup should be closer to the bridge, when I compare with the images on http://madcat.ch. I'm not upset  about this, just noting this.

Also, the upper pickguard is actually relatively straight, the light / shadows just make it look crooked

One thing you can't see in the video or the images is just how great the celluloid pickguard is, in person it feels and looks amazing.

Nice speedy assembly. Looks good. Looking forward to more daytime photos. That tribute is a cool guitar.

Back