Purple Frost vs. Candy Purple - I can't spot the visual difference

DanTM

Hey,

So I am thinking about building a P Bass made from Warmoth Parts.

I am a Purple guy so I want to go with .... Purple ... of course.

Warmoth offers two solid colour options that I am interested in.

1) Purple Frost
2) Candy Purple

Now, what exactly is the difference except the difference in price ?

I took a look at stock images in the guitar configurator but could not really spot a difference.

Can someone in here please help me to understand the visual difference(s) ?

Thanks,
Dan

And how about Metallic Caribbean burst, is that white pearl in the middle, and purple on the outside?  It's solid right?  Is it candy blue metallic?  Or just plain metallic blue on the outside burst.

If I'm not mistaken, Candy Purple is Candy like a car color.  While Purple Frost is like car paint that's got pearl in it.
So you've seen car colors like Candy Apple, which has a deep shine, while Purple Pearl is like metallic.  Just go to a car dealership and you'll see.  Probably, Candy takes more work, hence the price difference.

rick2 pretty much has it right.

Candy colors are a two-step process...1) a gold or silver metallic base coat with 2) a transparent/toner color coat sprayed over top. It gives a much deeper look since the metal flakes are under the "candy" coat

Purple Frost is a "metallic" lacquer, mica or iridescent flakes are mixed into the paint and the whole thing is sprayed in an opaque coat.

Purple flake actually uses purple-colored metallic flakes.

Duckbaloo,

I'm really intrigued by Metallic Caribbean Burst, but I've never seen one in person.

Do you know what the color is in the center?  I'm assuming it's white pearl, while the outside is a blue or purple pearl.

Thanks

Not, sure, but comparing it to the similar Metallic Candy Purple Silver Burst, my guess is that Metallic Caribbean Burst is the silver base coat (for the candy colors) with blue candy shot only as a burst.

Well that makes sense, the paint is called metallic, so I guess the inner part is probably silver with aluminium dust mixed in, and the outer is a candy blue.  I guess the only way I'll find out for sure is when I'm ready, give Warmoth a call and ask.

Metallic Caribbean Burst. Silver to Blue.

Attachments

• MetallicCaribbeanBurst.jpg
    MetallicCaribbeanBurst.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 151
Here's a photo of Candy Purple and Purple Frost in the Wild.

Purple Frost is the top, Candy Purple is the Bottom.

Attachments

• Purple Comparison.jpg
    Purple Comparison.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 263
ive always been more of a celtic frost kinda guy, but that purple frost is making feel things. amorous things

Wolff05 said:
Here's a photo of Candy Purple and Purple Frost in the Wild.
Purple Frost is the top, Candy Purple is the Bottom.

This is the clearest comparison of Purple Frost and Candy Purple I've seen! Many thanks!

So, Purple Frost is more purple-y, and Candy Purple is a little more bluey-purple.

I've been considering the purples among a few other options, and this tells me pretty well that Purple Frost is more my kind of purple than Candy Purple.

Back