Purple dyed Strat, 18 years later

dudesweet157

My 18 (almost 19) year-old Strat got some much needed TLC today with a shiny, new set of Graph Tech Ratio tuners. The Sperzels I originally installed were already 10 years old when I got them (new Sperzels were out of stock everywhere when I first put this build together), and the action had gotten clunky and stiff over the years.

While I had the strings off, I decided to pop the guard off to see how much the color of the top had changed over the years as well:

F45213E3-BD44-4231-A3B6-81750DFBEEBB.jpeg

19557593-6E2A-481E-A3A8-9159F1204D33.jpeg

In person, it’s still very recognizably purple, but, compared to the original color, one wouldn’t be out of line for thinking it’s dyed black or grey.

She’s still my favorite, even with her battle scars and faded finish, but I can’t help but feel nostalgic for that old, original purple.

18 years is a long time but that fading is much more than I would have thought. Still sweet!
That’s a pretty long relationship. I believe my longest was eight years.

That is a smart looking guitar. Resisting color fade is a losing battle. Most woods and finishes fade towards black, brown, grey or get a yellow tinge. The only wood I've seen that doesn't change, is ebony. I've seen pieces from the 1600's, still black as the day they were installed. It was at Cage's (sp?) in NYC.

I had to pay five bucks to access my old Photobucket account, but that was the only place I could find a copy of the pictures taken when it was brand new.

Warmoth Strat_new.jpg

Sorry for the small size/low res. The Photobucket photo was only 400x300 pixels, and the originals I posted to the old forum and the old warmoth.com customer gallery no longer exist. :-/

I'm not surprised ... you can't fight mother nature, just delay her a little. The guitar in my avatar is yellowing up, probably turn from pearl white to pearl cream.

I don’t tend to hop around a lot on guitars. I buy/assemble them with the exact specs that I want, then keep them forever, lol.
Smart man. I’ve had way too many guitars but it was a fun journey and a learning experience.
I finally built my dream Warmoth and after many wiring combinations it’s finally where it’ll be as long as it remains in my hands.
Wives on the other hand, I’m coming up on 45 years with just one!
Changing guitars out was certainly cheaper!

My 18 (almost 19) year-old Strat got some much needed TLC today with a shiny, new set of Graph Tech Ratio tuners. The Sperzels I originally installed were already 10 years old when I got them (new Sperzels were out of stock everywhere when I first put this build together), and the action had gotten clunky and stiff over the years.

While I had the strings off, I decided to pop the guard off to see how much the color of the top had changed over the years as well:

View attachment 61432

View attachment 61433

In person, it’s still very recognizably purple, but, compared to the original color, one wouldn’t be out of line for thinking it’s dyed black or grey.

She’s still my favorite, even with her battle scars and faded finish, but I can’t help but feel nostalgic for that old, original purple.
That difference in color is just amazing. I bet it looks so much more striking back in the day with that purple dye.

Back