pulling a broken screw =[

Dietrich

I was putting on a string tree when the screw gave.  I have about 1/16th in. hanging out of the wood.  Tried some small needle-nose pliers with no luck.  Any words here? 

Damn.  Should've just bought a guitar.

img2221aa6.jpg

Dietrich said:
Damn.  Should've just bought a guitar.

do a search  - I've seen at least two threads about this kind of thing since I've been here (not all that long).

Don't let that screw get you too down. I had a lot of problems on my build and it still worked out great in the end.

OK man, yeah, good advice.  I search way more than anything, but I was pretty upset that I may have an unwanted hole in a 2K guitar. 

As per a suggestion found here, I think I am going to order a couple of these: 

http://tltools.com/tlt/product.asp?mscssid=33JP6A4MRTFV9GQFV07280C52N1F7TCF "Unscrewums."

Can someone give me an easy answer for the size I need?  Has anyone found success with this?  The guy who commented said he did it with teak and it worked very well. 

Bummer, Most likely the 1/16" will work fine. Did you predrill that hole? It can be intimidating to put a drill on a nice new neck but it sure does help prevent these things from happening.

Update:

Just got off the phone with the guy from TLTools.com.  Very nice fellow--we spoke for about ten minutes.  He took my name, and when my order comes across in a few minutes, he is going to put some different sizes of the "unscrew-em" in the shipment for me so that I can get the exact size.  I'm hoping that since the hole was too small to begin with, I may be lucky enough to not have a hole that's too big for another screw of the same size.  Either way, I am doing a custom headstock decal and could probably arrange to cover the spot up easily, so there are options.  Will update here in a week or so when the piece comes in.

Dietrich said:
OK man, yeah, good advice.  I search way more than anything, but I was pretty upset that I may have an unwanted hole in a 2K guitar. 

As per a suggestion found here, I think I am going to order a couple of these: 

http://tltools.com/tlt/product.asp?mscssid=33JP6A4MRTFV9GQFV07280C52N1F7TCF "Unscrewums."

Can someone give me an easy answer for the size I need?  Has anyone found success with this?  The guy who commented said he did it with teak and it worked very well. 

Actually, it was good advice.  There have been two threads on this board for exactly this problem.

by my count this is the sixth, and in the last one I posted a link to all the others before it. 

Talked to Frank Ford about those un-screw-ums yesterday.  He hand' heard of 'em but was gonna give 'em a try.

Back