PRS Trem

elgravos

Has anyone ever installed a PRS trem on a Warmoth body?  If so, would love to hear about whether this worked out or if there were major incompatibilities that couldn't be overcome.

Mulling this over as an option on my next build...  would get a "back trem cavity only" route and then have someone suitably competent drill out the six mounting screw holes as I don't expect it's compatible with the Fender 6-hole vintage trem standard (though would like to be proven wrong).

Alternatively could go for the Mannmade 2020 that is compatible with the American Standard specs and save myself the worry, but it's not quite the same as the 6 screw mounted original PRS design (which is by far my favorite trem).

Cheers.

Considering the price of Mannmade whammy systems over the robust and far more affordable Wilkinson, I know what I would recommend....

I can't speak to the feasibility of installing a PRS tremolo on a Warmoth, but I believe PRS uses 2 1/16" string spacing, same as the modern American Standard bridge.  The vintage-style 6-screw uses wider 2 3/16" spacing if memory serves.

Actually, here's a graphic from Callaham:
Acme-Guitar-Works-General-Callaham-Strat-Bridge-Spacing.jpg

That says 2 7/32" for your vintage-style screw spacing, and that string spacing doesn't necessarily align with screw spacing on the Fender bridges.  I believe (but have no evidence to confirm) that PRS screw and string spacing are aligned.  If that's the case, then you'd actually best be served by having Warmoth (or your tech of choice) drill for a Mexican standard tremolo [citation needed].

In terms of the rear cavity, I would think that the wider Vintage bridge would have a wider block, necessitating a wider rear cavity, which should then accommodate the (presumably narrower) PRS block.  That's a lot of assuming, though.  Hopefully, this at least helps inform your decision.  I might be able to take measurements on my own PRS SE (which may be different still) trem when I get home this evening.

Of the Mann Made USA terms, I prefer the late 80's/early 90's versions that had the block & the base plate milled from one solid billet of brass.  Those were amazing.  The newer 2 piece versions that they transitioned to a number of years ago just don't sound like the old ones.  You might be able to add a larger block as an aftermarket part, but those old ones were great. 

From a manufacturing perspective, I do understand why they went to the traditional 2 piece as there was a lot of material waste associated with those older units, but dang did they sustain for days.

Thanks for taking an interest!  I actually have a US custom 24 so I guess I can get out the calipers and do some measuring myself, just not confident that I have the right skills to capture the data correctly (where to measure from and all that).  I plan on taking it up with the Mann himself as he's not far away from me and has helped me out before.  I got my US PRS from him and he's also done some work on my Warmoth strat - including putting on a mannmade stoptail (which is most excellent).  In fact, if this plan comes together, I was going to see if he could do the build / install. 

As far as other options go, I have a wilki on my JM.  It's a fine trem, but it doesn't come near the PRS in my opinion.  Feel is completely different - not to mention the wilkinson wobble issue, which I've experienced first hand!

Edit: got some specs from the mannmadeusa site:

PRS

String spacing E-E = 2-1/16″ (52.4mm)
Mounting hole spacing = 2-1/16″ (52.4mm)

Mexican Strat

String spacing E-E = 2-1/16″ (54 mm)
Mounting hole spacing = 2-1/16″ (52.4 mm)

Not sure if it's a typo with the spacing being 54 / 52.4 mm but the fraction remaining 2-1/16... worth exploring though.

I've installed a PRS trem a few years ago. It's my absolute favorite. You have the 6 screws but you still get the knife point fulcrum. Just be careful when installing the screws. The heads pop off pretty easy. The screw pattern is the same as the Mexican trem.  :headbang:

Cool, thanks for confirming.  I heard that installing the screws could be a b*tch!

Back