PRS Style done (with pics)

bpmorton777

Im final done with this thing! Took me almost a year, mostly strugling with grain filler.

body cut from a routed Warmoth body blank.
raw all rosewood neck PW tuners
three Seymour Duncan Stag-Mag pickups. 500k push pull pots, master tone, master volume, .47 cap, middle pot unused except for the switch
body finished in 6 coats of tung oil cured for 4 weeks then three coats of minwax whipe-on poly.

It fits in the PRS case I bought for it! Sounds like a Nashville Tele. Bright and articulate.

Ill be playing it at band tonight!

Brian

YAY!!!!  I have watched this one since you got the body blank!  Really nice work, there, bud.  My one and only suggestion is that you really have got to brag just a bit more.  Looks awesome, though, the finish is great.  Be proud, my man.

:hello2: :headbang: :blob7: :headbang: :hello2: and the crowd goes wild  :headbang1:

Real nice. Great colors, and nice body shaping! Looks flawless to my poor eyes from here.

My only complaint, I don't like those flat-mount strat bridges. I think they look cheap  :-\

nathan a said:
My only complaint, I don't like those flat-mount strat bridges. I think they look cheap  :-\

I'd like to disagree :)
I really like flatmount bridges on these type of guitars. I really wanted one on my VIP, as it was originally supposed to be losely based on a Fender Elan I.

I finally ended up with both a really cool and unique VIP and a real Elan ;)
Elan004.jpg

Looks great.

How do you like the stag mags?  I've got one in my neck position of my warmoth strat and love it.

erik

Very nice! I remember this one from when it was practically a tree in the jungle. GREAT job on the body shaping and finish. You really do need to brag more.

thanks for the kind words, guys :hello2:

The Stag Mags in this thing are amazing! Instant Strat/Tele tone and you wouldn’t know it from how they look. I didn’t have the same reaction from The GFS Lil Killers I put in my strat, had to get used to those more. I know, not a good comparison. I was also completly amazed that the wireing went so smoothly given how much crap I packed into the cavity.

Now that im done I want to build another but...no funds and I cant justify another six string electric. I guess Ill be planning a 5 string bass for the future.  :glasses9:

Brian

I take it that when you say Strat/Tele tone, that is when the pickups are split, correct?

If that's so, what do the pickups sound like on full humbucker?

I find them quite interesting. SD's blurb about them says they set out to replicate a genuine s/c sound from the split sound of the humbucker, and used the same materials as a single coil, but doubled it up for a humbucker pickup.

Very good body design btw. Either you knew what you were doing, or was very brave to order the blank and go for it! Heaps of kudos to you.  :hello2: :icon_thumright: :headbang1: :headbang: :toothy11:

Hey guys

@ Nathan:  I know, flat mount bridges look little ugly but they are damn fuctional! :icon_thumright: And simple. Not much different than looking at a vint trem without the bar in it. I have the saddles set funny cause the nut is a bit high and so the saddle have to be high to compensate so I dont get fret buz in the upper frets this puts the intonation all out of whack.....needs some fine tuning on the nut and the edges of the frets are a bit pointy.

@ Ozzie: The SM dont sound like humbuckers at all...in any config. when both coils are active they have a bit more meat to their sound but still sound like a good strat/tele pickup and they are noisless this way. Ive been playing the thing with both coils on most of the time. Id have to say that, despite my wood choices, this thing is the brightest guitar I have but it still hase a nice thick tone and plenty of gain if you need it.

I got the fatback contour on the neck...took about 4 days to really get used to it...seems just fine now...we''ll see. it really is like playing on a baseball bat. If I end up not liking the back contour I can always take it to the shop and have it shaved down..another advantage of a raw neck.

@ Doc: I apreciate the kind words. It had been about 25 years since I used a band saw or router I was worried about it along the way but wood is pretty forgiving.

more pics!

Brian

shame on me, I havent replied yet!

this guitar looks killer! I bet it sounds that way too. Very curious to try those pickups, by the way. I hope they have some 'meat' to them when put in series (the humbucker) and some punch, crunch and twang when put in singlecoil mode.

if so, they'll be a new addition to the family one day!

Marko said:
nathan a said:

I'd like to disagree :)
I really like flatmount bridges on these type of guitars. I really wanted one on my VIP, as it was originally supposed to be losely based on a Fender Elan I.

I finally ended up with both a really cool and unique VIP and a real Elan ;)
I disagree again, i do not like flatmounts on anything but strats. even then i'm picky about how it looks.

Well done man, I remember your posts when I first joined this board, thats one monumetal project hope she is worth it. Looks incredible.  :icon_thumright:

Back