PRS finishes

MicahC

MK, this time I searched and DIDN'T find it  :) And I didn't put this in DIY because, I'm not planning on doing it  :toothy11:

Here's a link to the PRS gallery

How do they make their dyes so...is bright the word? Or deep? But anyway, how do they do it? They have BEAUTIFUL guitars!

Like this :
ps320.jpg

I assume the stuff in the private stock is the stuff that stands out - the one in a million that someone dyes and goes "You gotta see this", so they take it off the line and make it a private stock. That, and some good lighting, photography and photoshop. But yea, they are nice.

I am guessing that it is a multi step process.  The wood is dyed to give it that depth that dyes do (Oooh that voodoo) and then they could add toners or tints to the coats of finish.  Looking at the Showcase Warmoth's, the ones with the back of the guitar colored but transparent seem to be tinted finish if I read it correct.  I guess that if you combine them correctly you can get one helluva finish.
Patrick

Hm, my understanding is that the private stock is their custom shop, and they use only ridiculously figured maple and do multiple passes /sandbacks with the dye. I mean, I don't know anything about their shop secrets, but I've read that you get a rich light/dark contrast on the dye when you do multiple steps of dying and then sanding back.

If you're trying to specifically recreate the PRS "Matteo Blue" finish from their Private Stock offerings; first you need some crazy good 5A quilt or flame. While a lot of the blue dye jobs that have been in the Showcase tend to go more aqua in the lighter parts, whatever technique they've used on the new DL laminate blue LP body in th pic below is about as dead on close as you're going to get from a Warmoth finish.

It's real hard to tell from the small pics/lighting on the PRS page; if someone handed me the parts/money and told me to try to recreate that finish; I'd mix a real dark, almost black navy blue dye/stain to do the darker parts, sand that back till I got it right and fill with a lighter blue. I had a project I was going to do somewhat similar on a 5A rear route Strat body I bought on eBay a while back, but the seller screwed me and refunded my money instead of shipping the body. Tonar posted a nice thread showing how to do it and it references the dye/stain colors to buy, check this thread out:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1324.0

Since I got the dye concentrate to do it, I'll probably wind up doing one like that with an all canary neck sometime when the right piece of quilt catches my eye...

index.php

I can't see enough of the grain to tell, but two of those bodies are already in the showcase I think.  The yellow one being the one I posted about a few days ago and the one on the right being the fireburst that is there now.  I'm wondering if that blue one isn't the blue one they have in the showcase.

It does appear to be the one in the Showcase; and it turned out more aqua on the lighter parts when done....

I'd be all over an LP that was the more royal blue in the picture above rather than the lighter blue that showed up in the showcase.  I'd also be immensely happy to see one that didn't have the back died blue too.

Lucky #7 said:
I'd be all over an LP that was the more royal blue in the picture above rather than the lighter blue that showed up in the showcase.  I'd also be immensely happy to see one that didn't have the back died blue too.

Back's not dyed; it's shot with transparent blue

Back