Proposing a Forum Project.

PhilHill

(Wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought I'd start here and move it if needed.)

My Wall-T is hardening up, and it'll be a couple more weeks before it's cured enough that I'll feel comfortable level-sanding and doing the final coats. In the meantime Ive had a request from my nephew, who is starting out learning to play, to build him a guitar. He doesn't care what it is so much as long as it's one of mine and it looks cool. Not having children of my own, I'm not really up on what's currently "cool".
I don't think it's a good idea to give him a whammy bar right off, just like it's not a good idea for beginning rider to start out on a large Harley or a crotch-rocket. He needs to learn the basics before launching into "Eruption" or Satriani.
Anyway, I've got this body sitting around that has only been taken to rough shape. And I thought "Why not open it up for the Forum to decide what it should be. So I'm looking for suggestions on how to proceed.
The idea is a simple 6 string solidbody that a 12yr old would find acceptable and won't give him troubles staying in tune or be too fragile. He likes country, heavey-metal, and whatever 12yr olds listen to nowadays.
This is what I've got so far. The main section is Leopard-Wood with Sapele and leopard for the top.

RApzkW.jpg

0t6kc8.jpg

. So, what do you think? ......... :icon_scratch:

I would guess put a fixed bridge on it of some type and a pair of pickups with a 3 way switch and volume and tone. No idea what is cool with 12 year olds either Phil other than probably ice cream.

LOL, yes, he certainly likes ice cream. At his age though, I've noticed that He mostly likes eating in general. Especially in large amounts.......... :icon_thumright:

my thought is not to make it for the boy who is now, but for the man he will be,  that guitar will be around a long time

teleme01 said:
my thought is not to make it for the boy who is now, but for the man he will be,  that guitar will be around a long time

Good point. He's a large lad with big hands so it can be full sized without problems there. It's more a matter of the looks of it on that part.
Thanks for the input.......... :icon_thumright:

I would say make it into a Les Paul Jr.  Single P90, vol, tone, wraparound bridge.

Simple. Killer tone.  What's not to like?

Mayfly said:
I would say make it into a Les Paul Jr.  Single P90, vol, tone, wraparound bridge.

Simple. Killer tone.  What's not to like?

H'mm, You've got me thinking on that. We're not for sure yet that He will keep his interest beyond the beginning. So keeping the costs down would be nice.
Good idea, thanks.......... :icon_thumright:

yo I'd vote keeping it on the simple side: HxH, 3-way (the switch, not the other kind), with jus' master vol and tone. maybe throw him a Hipshot non-trem bridge

guitar playing youthsters of today listen to stuff like herman Li, Myrone, Owayne, John 5, polyphia, tash Sultana, and stuff

BroccoliRob said:
yo I'd vote keeping it on the simple side: HxH, 3-way (the switch, not the other kind), with jus' master vol and tone. maybe throw him a Hipshot non-trem bridge

guitar playing youthsters of today listen to stuff like herman Li, Myrone, Owayne, John 5, polyphia, tash Sultana, and stuff

Cool, thanks for the heads up on the music. I'll do some research on them.............. :headbang:

I would look at what he likes more than what most of us boomers like lol, so no p90 tobacco sunburst etc. Get him something versatile, HH or HSH with a modern but simple fixed bridge. Is he into music or not? If he is, what he likes? Technical stuff (metal, groups like polyphia, chon etc, fusion?), blues/jazz (doubt considering he’s 12 but never say never) or he’s into more commercial pop music? That makes a big difference imho.

12 year olds, at least the ones in my life loooove distortion ... So pickups that'll pummel the snot out of an amp.

rick2 said:
12 year olds, at least the ones in my life loooove distortion ... So pickups that'll pummel the snot out of an amp.

That is true. That's part of the thing, it'll need pups that can raise heck but should also be capable of clean tone so that He can learn what a note is really supposed to sound like. Distortion is nice, but it can hide a lot of bad technique too. At least for a beginner. Thanks for the input.................. :icon_thumright:

If he's already into some metal at this stage, you need to give him distortion. I'd suggest full versatility with a fixed bridge (hipshot I guess), a seymour duncan JB humbucker in the bridge  (it can do everything from soft rock to metal, even with 250k pots) and a lighter single coil (tele or even strat style) or very gentle humbucker in the neck so he has flexibility with clean tones.

Do not go for a sunburst finish - kids hate that haha I'd go simple black with cool metal parts (silver or even gold) and maybe a subtle yet somewhat extravagant pickguard.

It's an interesting grain - maybe a transparent color, or translucent like a "Mary Kay" white. Need two pickups for variety, but not a lotta controls - keep it simple. Toggle bridge/neck selection, and just master volume/tone pots.  Use Seymour's "Hot Rod Humbucker" set (JB, '59), since you can cover a helluva lotta territory with those two. He's been selling that set since forever, and they're still popular for that reason. I like Hipshot's fixed bridge...
41060C_800x.jpg
Fully adjustable, comfy under the hand, machined brass - nice part (be sure to shop that price - I don't think Hipshot likes selling to the public, but dealers are all over the board). Locking tuners, of course.

alexreinhold said:
If he's already into some metal at this stage, you need to give him distortion. I'd suggest full versatility with a fixed bridge (hipshot I guess), a seymour duncan JB humbucker in the bridge  (it can do everything from soft rock to metal, even with 250k pots) and a lighter single coil (tele or even strat style) or very gentle humbucker in the neck so he has flexibility with clean tones.

Do not go for a sunburst finish - kids hate that haha I'd go simple black with cool metal parts (silver or even gold) and maybe a subtle yet somewhat extravagant pickguard.
Cagey said:
It's an interesting grain - maybe a transparent color, or translucent like a "Mary Kay" white. Need two pickups for variety, but not a lotta controls - keep it simple. Toggle bridge/neck selection, and just master volume/tone pots.  Use Seymour's "Hot Rod Humbucker" set (JB, '59), since you can cover a helluva lotta territory with those two. He's been selling that set since forever, and they're still popular for that reason. I like Hipshot's fixed bridge...
41060C_800x.jpg
Fully adjustable, comfy under the hand, machined brass - nice part (be sure to shop that price - I don't think Hipshot likes selling to the public, but dealers are all over the board). Locking tuners, of course.

Thanks guys, I totally agree on the JB pup, I have one on another guitar and like it. My preliminary thoughts were to go with a fixed bridge like the Hipshot. Depends on what I can get right now without having to wait until He gets married before it gets here.
The top is quarter-sawn Sapele, They call it "Ribbon Stripe", but it's just quarter-sawn............... :headbang:

I have to be careful on this too. After all, I don't want him turning out like some of the Metal players I've heard of. I heard a story about a Metal Tribute band led by some guy named Double A who once got too wild and bit the head off a Gummy Bear someone threw on stage.................... :eek:

. :icon_jokercolor:

Hey - regarding paint, why don't you let him decide?

But I'm wondering what satin black that allows the grain to show would look like.... very METAL I'm sure!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Hreqn9j3PHI[/youtube]

Mayfly said:
Hey - regarding paint, why don't you let him decide?

But I'm wondering what satin black that allows the grain to show would look like.... very METAL I'm sure!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Hreqn9j3PHI[/youtube]

:laughing11: :laughing11:

. I see your point about paint color............ :headbang:

PhilHill said:
LOL, yes, he certainly likes ice cream. At his age though, I've noticed that He mostly likes eating in general. Especially in large amounts.......... :icon_thumright:
th
:toothy12:

Back