Epic Member
Got started on my next project !!

this is the flamey poplar body:
SoloistRaw003.jpg

with the rosewood neck:

sn6134a.jpg

sn6134b.jpg

So I am going to experiment a bit with popping the flames,
so started with a dark (Red Mahogany) stain.
maybe one more coat, and I'll sand it all down and add a lighter amber color:
(any tips and advise on this process is welcome :))

Soloist1001.jpg

Soloist1004.jpg

Soloist1002.jpg

Soloist1003.jpg

Soloist1005.jpg

I like it already!!!  :icon_biggrin:

I've been really surprised with some of the success stories I'm seeing with poplar bodies! Way to score on a good looking cheapie! :icon_thumright:

I'm impressed!  I have to definitely reconsider my stance on poplar.

BTW, whats that on written on your paint stick stand?

Blue313 said:
I'm impressed!  I have to definitely reconsider my stance on poplar.

BTW, whats that on written on your paint stick stand?
No doubt, I have seen a few pop up that looked promising before... :laughing7:

Thanks! I am quite impressed myself! the 2 pieces are not as nicely matched as your regular warmoth flame maple top, but I have absolutely no complaints for a $149 body!

the letters on the stick are just random. I had this fabulous plan to use some stickey letters for masking on a different project. didn't work out the way I wanted, so I changed plans :)

Btw, I intended to grain fill this body, but the poplar didn't really need it. it was more like a softer alder I guess..

NonsenseTele said:
:eek: You're kidding me that this is poplar!!!

it sure is!!!

So I read before that there are a lot of different kinds of woods, called Poplar.
The one Warmoth sells is 'Liriodendron tulipifera' according to the woods description page.
when googling this, it turns out that this is yellow poplar, but not an actual poplar wood.. it is really American tulipwood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron_tulipifera

so I wonder if this is the same kind of 'poplar' used for your regular cheapo chinese guitars

Marko said:
Too late  :sad:

how did yours end up??

That poplar ROCKS!!!!!  Amazing!  Was that off the screaming deals section??

Still working on mine.
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=7201.0

It turns out this whole trick doesn't work out with poplar :(
so I spend all week sanding the brown out. which was way darker in person than in the pictures.

I really wanted a amber-ish color stain on this, but it won't work with the green strikes. So I went for 'sedona red', which looked like a reddish brown on the sample
after one stain it looks way more red than I expected, but still pretty cool. not as pink/purple as it looks in the pics though.

Let me know what you think! should I sand again and go back to the brown?

Soloist2004.jpg

Soloist2009.jpg

Soloist2011.jpg

Soloist2015.jpg

The pink/purple is pretty cool, but personally I'd go with the brown dye. Because it's sexy.

I went over it with 2 more coats of brown stain..
no sanding down again, since I already sanded it down way more than I should have :(

I can definitively confirm that Poplar is not ideal for transparent finishes.I know understand why peter pointer always stains his flame poplar bodies really dark!

this was cheap and meant to experiment on, but I may have Furked this up a little - we'll see how this will end up after I am done with the true oil finish. it may not be worth the nice rosewood neck that I got for it..
Which I received btw and looks fantastic!!!! I will post pics soon!

S6300084.jpg

For this I had some red, brown, and amber dyes all mixed up and I just kept added them on and washing them together till I got what I was looking for, which was like a guitar used by a cannibal pirate captain to beat to death a temple of vestal virgins on a South Pacific island.... alder other pirates said "Ar, ar, matey, what a waste of them virgins...."  :blob7:

Amber will turn pink browner (though not as quickly as brown will, that's for sure).

Back