Project Soloist has Started!!

It's the rainbow soloist! If you look closely, there is some brown, red, pink, yellow and green in here!!
a bit more brown in person though... you can see how red (pinkpurple) it was before in the trem cavity

thinline2020.jpg

thinline2021.jpg

thinline2023.jpg

thinline2024.jpg

this is it though... feck it.. I will slap on the tru oil as soon as it's completely dry.

I think it still looks killer there Marko. Definately the best looking piece of poplar I've ever seen... :icon_thumright:

That's gonna be a damn nice soloist for sure...

Hey Marko, somehow I skipped this thread, so maybe I missed it - did you say what stain you used? I am lining up to finish both of my poplar bodies this summer, I'm curious. I was thinking about using dyes from woodcraft because I can mix and match easily, the alternative is oil-based stain in some dark brown / reddish hue. I can't spray where I'm living, so solid colors are out. Nice work there.

Yes, it will take stain nicely, HOWEVER.....
make sure you use the right color straight away, since I really fecked this one up...
I stained it brown first, so I could sand it down and follow up with a coat of amber..

Well poplar doesn't work like that. I had to sand so much of the body, it must be half it's size now.. well I sanded at least too much of the sides of the heel..
also, the end grain absorbs the stain differently than the top and back.

once I sanded everything down, I decided to go for a nice red oak stain.. which turned out Pink/purple-ish. I didn't want to sand anymore, so I tried to fix it with a couple of coats of brown..  wich worked for most parts..
the whole purpose of this thing was to experiment a bit, so I am not all that pissed off about it. once it was done, I kind of tried to antique it: some parts of the edges didn't take the stain, so I sanded the edges for a 'wheathered' look. :)
I'm almost done with this, so you will see the end result soon.. not proud of it though :)

well, I slapped the neck on, and laid out the hardware to see what It is going to look like.. personally........I hate it..
I am very close to chuck the body and replace it with something else.
Would love to hear 'all y'alls' opinion

Soloist3001.jpg

Soloist3003.jpg

Soloist3007.jpg

Soloist3009.jpg

Soloist3010.jpg

Soloist3012.jpg

HMMM, that's interesting...it's got a definite "pink acid-washed 80's jean jacket" vibe to it - and I mean that in the coolest way possible.  :eek:ccasion14: I like the weathering you applied to the sides. SO, what type of stain / dye is that, to get back to my original question?

tfarny said:
HMMM, that's interesting...it's got a definite "pink acid-washed 80's jean jacket" vibe to it - and I mean that in the coolest way possible.  :eek:ccasion14: I like the weathering you applied to the sides. SO, what type of stain / dye is that, to get back to my original question?
ah, it's all kinds of minwax stains. :)

Maybe I'll go with a medium brown for mine, and just keep applying till I get to the right color. Finishing with wax sounds cool too.

Don't forget that paint is always an option, Personaly I think it looks good.

I have considered many times, seeing how good a guitar I can build, by buying the cheapest of everything Warmoth offfers.

Cheapest body, neck and no frills hardware, I bet it would be an awesome axe still....

My current favorite is built from a closeout maple neck and closeout alder strat body - that sunburst I did last summer. I upgraded the bridge, tuners, and pickups last month, got the nut just perfect, and now it's just a monster.

I think it looks pretty sweet myself Markoooooooooo, I don't see anything wrong with the body.....Well beside the fact it hasn't a Floyd...... :laughing7: Other than that, it's perfect, especially for poplar. Never seen any that Flamey....
teu42.gif

DangerousR6 said:
I think it looks pretty sweet myself Markoooooooooo, I don't see anything wrong with the body.....Well beside the fact it hasn't a Floyd...... :laughing7: Other than that, it's perfect, especially for poplar. Never seen any that Flamey....
teu42.gif

+1

I can't understand why you hate it; I like it.  I agree with Doug though, I'd be thinking a Floyd.  I've never been one for zebra pups, but that's just me.  Also, the silver saddles on the Wilkie IMHO should be black, unless you want to Floyd it.  :icon_biggrin:

I think it looks really cool as well. It's definitely interesting, and I mean that in a good way, I swear!  :icon_thumright:

However, I have to agree about the saddles. And I've never really gotten zebra pickups either, but hey, it's your guitar, not mine!

I'll just +1 that the guitar looks killer. Though I'd do zebra on both or neither pickups, not just one.

hmmm.... well thanks for the feedback.
I'll keep it, but I don't think the padouk neck looks great on it..
maybe I should get a nice canary/canary neck for it....

Back