Professional Musicians and Exotic woods...

m4rk0

Epic Member
Ok, the tonal qualities, cool looks and fantastic feel of exotic woods is not that big of a secret in guitarists land..
but still almost every 'famous' guitarist is using traditional woods for their own and/or signature guitars.. Why the hell is that?
If I was in that position (never will ;)) and a guitar manufacturer offered me a sig model, I would at least ask for an unfinished solid rosewood neck!! or at least something that doesn't look like every other guitar..
from the top of my head, I can think of
- Reb Beach - Koa Body + Solid Pau Ferro neck
- Nuno Bettencourt - Padouk body
- SRV - Pau Ferro fingerboard (does that count?)
- George Harrissons tele
- Ted Nugent - Ed roman guitar with Korina body and solid ebony neck
- I am sure there is someone famous who plays a rosewood PRS
who else?

ah, let me go ahead and post the obvious replies:

- Guitarists are conservative by nature
- why change a proven formula
- Real Guitarists do not need to compensate their lack of technique with fancy woods
- Tone is really in the fingers
- Exotic woods are overrated
- relics are in fashion right now..

Well Screw it,  I still wanted a unique guitar if I was a succesful guitarist  :)

Victor Bailey sig bass: Mahogany with Koa top...

Well, I think because usually the sig models are "based" on the guitars they used to play... and from guys from 60 and 70 (the big names from today, still), doesn't look like the exotic woods were used that much (not even today they are, because of the cost)... In 80's it was like no natural guitars... only fancy/gay/strange finishes... and most of guys in 90 and 00 are trying to copy the style of the old ones...

And always there's that:
With a guitar with a 5A flamed Koa in the top and full rosewood neck, most of guys are afraid to let it in the stage... specially those who make big tours...
That is something that I'm thinking... have some "normal" guitars to the places that don't have that good structure (believe me, most part of them in Brazil)

some might not have a whole lot of choice too, based upon who their getting sponsorship from.  much like record contracts, once signed, you may not have a choise as to the type of music you want to do, etc.  they may only have the choice to use factory available materials.

and I agree with most of your second post m4rk0...

My bet would be that they are pressured by the manufacturers to use common materials.  Most of the signature models are sold to people who are buying, at most, in the price range around $1000.00 to $1500.00.  Major manufactures are not going to put exotic woods in guitars at those, and lower, prices.  So the result is that the production models need to use common woods, but then if the artist is running around with a version that has a solid Brazilian rosewood body, and a petrified woolly mammoth penis for a neck, its going to be some what disingenuous to call the production  model a "signature" guitar. 

Personally, if I'm going to spend $1500 or $2000 on a guitar, I want it to be MY signature model, not some other duche bags :)  thus the reason for doing a Warmoth build  :hello2:

chuck7 said:
a solid Brazilian rosewood body, and a petrified woolly mammoth penis for a neck,  

How did you find out about my plans for my next project????? :icon_scratch:

chuck7 said:
Personally, if I'm going to spend $1500 or $2000 on a guitar, I want it to be MY signature model, not some other duche bags :)  thus the reason for doing a Warmoth build  :hello2:

Ahh Yes, us warmoth addicts know the true meaning of CUSTOM!

"but then if the artist is running around with a version that has a solid Brazilian rosewood body, and a petrified woolly mammoth penis for a neck"

Technically, wouldn't having/playing a petrified wooly mammoth penis necked guitar be gay?

there's nothing gay about the tone you get from mammoth penis. makes the panties drop instantly.

plus the figure on some of it is absolutely stunning!

Y'all asked for it...  Nice graining, and it should make for great sustain, but getting the "bow" out of it might be an issue

WalrusOosik.jpg

ahhhhhh :sad: :sad1:

that makes me wonder if  petrified woolly Mammoth nuts would make a good nut material!  :dontknow:

Doubtful, but you could get a tusk and sell the world's most expensive, and most vintage, ivory nuts

jackthehack said:
Y'all asked for it...  Nice graining, and it should make for great sustain, but getting the "bow" out of it might be an issue

WalrusOosik.jpg

Looks pretty puny to me.  :laughing7:

I like the idea of a mammoth nut nut.  It doesn't need to compensate for ANYTHING!  :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

hahahahahahahhaa

i love it when threads end up like this  :icon_biggrin:

also another thing, if it was me who was the aforementioned rock star (gimme a few years  :laughing7:), with my black korina lam top tele, it may prove a problem "matching" up lam tops for a sig model. and seeing as sig models are often "replicas" of originals (im thing EVH and other relic guitars here), it would be near impossible to create a line of "lookalikes". wonder if that makes sense in anybody elses head...

this mammoth call just reminds me of the "Wangcaster" that floated around here awhile back. if a guitar is in anyway phallic in shape, i'm sure we all would agree that it should be played as a slide guitar, simply for the imagery  :doh:

"Doubtful, but you could get a tusk and sell the world's most expensive, and most vintage, ivory nuts"

I think Hamer already does this with "focilized Ivory" nuts. It isnt from a living animal so it's not illegal to use.

Brian

rightintheface said:
if a guitar is in anyway phallic in shape, i'm sure we all would agree that it should be played as a slide guitar,

Or by Prince.

OK, back on topic and enough with the hmmm jokes: Our man in Brazil made an interesting point about basses. It seems that bassists have been quicker to appreciate exotic woods and newer materials like graphite and alumin(i)um. My theory as to why: the way bass is played has changed more radically since the 60's than guitar has i.e. slap.

Don't know there, but here in Brazil, guitar players are not much into luthier made guitars, and many bassists have luthier mades...
Me, my friends, my luthiery teacher, and other people always said:
Guitar players are more conservative than bass players... Dont know there...

Here, if you talk about custom make a Les Paul, people screw you!!!

Back