Presidential debate

DocNrock

Master Member
Did anyone catch the whole thing tonight?  I only caught the last 10 minutes.  I'm now watching all the talking heads comment, which is worthless.  Any highlights?

Just you  :icon_thumright:
Did'nt catch any of it  . . . Yet ! :toothy10:

It's on DVR here. I didn't watch it at all. In fact, the TV was off because it was recording. My dad decided to dvr it. We've got a dual DVR or something, but the TV I use is the one the recorded shows have to be on.

Yes, I watched it.  Both candidates sounded intelligent and presidential.  And I say that as someone who is extremely partisan and was praying for one candidate to screw up tonight.  There were no good "sound bytes" which means no shift in the polls.

I'm recording all the various bits and pieces right thru election day.  Then I can play it backwards and it'll have a happy ending....

Watched it. It was the best debate I can remember, actually. Lots of real details and fairly clear differences. BOTH candidates seemed like intelligent, well-spoken, well-meaning people who differ over substantive issues. Hooray, seriously.
    Wanna buy some wood?  :icon_jokercolor:
Relatively few outright lies or personal attacks. Few soundbites and only a couple of nice 'zingers'.

Whew! Got through a post without too blatantly partisan a comment.

THE VP DEBATE IS NEXT THURSDAY AT 9 PM ET. Set your calendars people, it is very likely to be must-see TV if the McCain camp can't find a (nother) reason to cancel.

I only saw the last half hour, but hopefully I can find some of the highlights somewhere on line..
nobody screwed up? that's a shame.. I always love to see those back in the SNL and MAD tv parodies

tfarny said:
Wanna buy some wood?  :icon_jokercolor:
hahaha, that is hilarious! I still think of that line everytime I see W on tv

tfarny said:
THE VP DEBATE IS NEXT THURSDAY AT 9 PM ET. Set your calendars people, it is very likely to be must-see TV if the McCain camp can't find a (nother) reason to cancel.

Well that could be entertaining.. especially after seeing bits of the Palin interview!

The VP debate is going to be a massacre.  Joe Biden is a smart, experienced debater and (like it or not) a master politician.  Sarah Palin can't seem to string together a sentence on her own.  I suspect that either right before or right after the debate, Gov. Palin is going to decide she needs to spend more time with her children.

dbw said:
The VP debate is going to be a massacre.  Joe Biden is a smart, experienced debater and (like it or not) a master politician.  Sarah Palin can't seem to string together a sentence on her own.  I suspect that either right before or right after the debate, Gov. Palin is going to decide she needs to spend more time with her children.

So he's a Master Debater?

Sure is!  McCain is even better, the guy's been a Master Debater since the Taft era  :laughing7:

dbw said:
Sure is!  McCain is even better, the guy's been a Master Debater since the Taft era  :laughing7:

That's cold......but funny!

IMO it was a non-event. Afterwards Bill Moyers had Andrew Bacevich (author of 'The Limits Of Power') - he ate them both up...

tfarny said:

That one I am sad to say I am going to miss.  I'm leaving on an 8 day offshore fishing trip on Tuesday.  I don't believe the boat has satellite TV, but it might.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/factchecking_debate_no_1.html - - here's something good to sort it out.

GoDrex said:
http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/factchecking_debate_no_1.html - - here's something good to sort it out.

Good stuff there, Gary.  Thanks for that link.  :icon_thumright:

I think it was what people wanted to hear. But who ever gets in office, they are going to age 10 years in one week.

So true. You're guaranteed to hear some version of "but it's not my fault" about weekly.
On a related note, did you guys notice that McCain was all concerned about the hurricane that interrupted the Rep convention, but never said one word about Ike?  Little odd, huh?

Debating hint to Obama. Try not to say "You're right, John." more than 53 times.

Back