Pot shaft lenth

jlw917

Recently purchased a chambered tele body cut for hb's and Les Paul controls, have not received yet but want to buy my pots are they long shaft or short shaft????

That's a rear control cavity route, so the pots have to reach through a wood top that's thicker than a pickguard or control plate. That means you'll want long pots.

What a total suck fest getting this thing wired up. Considering the idea is for DIY builders, you would think Warmoth would be all over this. The toggle is a serious PITA with trying to keep enough washers (I used a nut to hold washers) in place and finagle the switch.

The more user-friendly solution would be an access route behind the switch.

Yeah, it's a real pain in the shorts. But, the impetus was to make a Fender "Starcaster" body available, and those didn't have access panels. At least, that would be my excuse if I were Warmoth.

One could argue that it's an aftermarket part, so all bets are off. Do what works; to hell with the original design. But, then you'd have the purists alternately crying in their beer or pissing in your cornflakes because it's not an "authentic" part. You can't win.

It's an expensive part to make, so if the bitching gets to be unbearable, they may change the design lest they lose their development investment due to poor sales. Time will tell. For what they cost, I wonder how many they sell. They may already be sorry they went down that road.

Incidentally, if memory serves, I tied a string or a wire or something to the switch and threaded that though the washers, then pulled the switch through and juggled things until the washers fell into place. Once the switch is in place, you thread the guidewire through the retainer nut and thread that on. At that point, you can remove the guidewire and tighten the retainer nut.

Another thing to consider is that if all this was easy, we'd just hire girl scouts to do it. Maybe give 'em a "Junior Luthier" badge to sew on their sashes :laughing7:

Let's face it, F Hole Hollow bodies, look & sound awesome, but are a pain in the shorts to work on.

I use surgical tubing to the shaft to feed through to the holes, then use forceps or a small dental tool to pull them up out of the body, then get a nut on there pronto!

The whole wire assembly should be pre-wired outside the guitar, use lil wire zip ties to secure all connections nice & neat, makes the whole assembly far more durable.

TV Jones has a nice vid tutorial on this on his website.  That's where I got the idea from, so I don't take any credit for it.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxr9E56qyjg

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls_ZGMvdWSM&t=11s

Back