POLL: pick my bridge pickup!

Which bridge pickup is best for my "style"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I only know Megadeth pickups (JB)... but before ya make a choice, why aren't you including both your amp and speakers into the tone "formula" for determining the pickup to use?  It ain't just the geetar ya know.

GoDrex said:
smavridis said:
well im playing through a 15watt Fender frontman. and thats it.

pickups aren't going to help all that much in that case

+1!

EDIT...not saying anything bad about a solidstate practice amp necessarily, but particularly for the metal tones we're talking about here, its a bit of "cart before the horse" to focus on finding the perfect high-gain humbucker without the significant other side of the tonal spectrum worked out as well.  I find this is less of an issue with pickups used for cleaner styles.

Regardless good luck to 'e!

smavridis said:
well im playing through a 15watt Fender frontman. and thats it.

If that's all you can do for the time, and if you're not happy with the distorted tone of the amp, you might want to consider running the amp's clean channel and using a distortion box of some sort in front to get closer to the tone you seek.

ya i just bought a boss ds-1 yesterday and im playing my current strat through it on a clean channel.

EDIT: the guitar is alder body with a maple neck and ebony fretboard.

for a long time I just used an EH metal muff with the stock bridge humbucker on my epiphone and a solid state amp that couldn't do metal tones on its own. It sounds great. Then I screwed up the bridge pup, so I'm waiting for an upgrade in that unless I build my Warmoth first or replace my amps with something better.

The Electro Harmonix Metal Muff should fill the bill for what you're doing.

I'm sorry but modern gibson pups suck. Before changing any pickups get a good distortion pedal or a high gain amp. The pickup wont turn your rig into a metal monster by itself. Like I said, the metal muff is a really awesome cheap pedal worth looking into.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=metal+muff

here's some muffs to look at. all under $100 but all I needed was the pocket sized one and that's significantly cheaper.

5150/6505... seriously

You need a new amp, not a bridge pickup. By the time you've picked up three new pickups and associated wiring you could have saved up enough for half a nice new amp. Having said that, I too played the pickup game before getting a bigger amp.

Back