I'm back! A quick look at my previous builds and current ideas.

Tipperman

Hello everybody. Some of you may remember me from such memorable quotes as "I really like your guitar!" or "Oh man that's gorgeous." but you probably won't, because I've been AWOL for a good 3-4 years for various reasons. I'm back to playing guitar again, finally, and boy does it feel good. As I told my friend Cagey in a message "I just jammed for two hours. Turns out my fingertips lack callouses now. Oops!"

Well, I'd just like to say hello and show my two previous builds, as well as look for opinions on what I should do next!

I built two vintage Fender clones, a 1962 Fender Stratocaster, and a 1962 Fender Jaguar. The Fender Strat and Jaguar both feature an Alder body with a maple neck and a Rosewood slab fretboard. They differ from an oldschool one in that they both use the Boatneck contour, as opposed to a slimmer neck. I can't help it, I have stupid hands with spider fingers. Pics are included, but the Strat is a Nitro sunburst finish, and the Jaguar is a nitro Fiesta Red finish done by Tonar. Dudes finish is legendary, let me tell you. I've owned a lot of guitars, but that one is my favorite for looks.

The Strat sports a set of Fender Custom Shop pickups, although I hope to one day slap a pair of BKP Mother's Milk in there. The Jaguar has Lollar's Jaguar pickups installed. Jaguar also sports a Mastery bridge, which I guess is technically not to 1962 specs. Both sound awesome, buzz like all get-out, and pick up any interference in their way. I love it.

As for my next build, I'm thinking either a vintage Telecaster or a VIP (nitro finish from... someone). I'm leaning towards the VIP, black korina body. Any neck wood suggestions? Looking for something versatile, something that can do funk and Grateful Dead jams, but also let me get into the heavy metal range, like Slayer/Iron Maiden. Same goes for pickup suggestions. Hope everyone here is doing well.  :rock-on:

Attachments

• warmothstrat.jpg
    warmothstrat.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 303
  • warmothjaguar.jpg
    warmothjaguar.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 288
Hello Tippeman.
That's some fine guitars you've got there.
I can't say I remember you, but the reason is I'm a newbie compared to some here on the forum. Only been here a year and a half or so.
But it's still nice to welcome you back and judging from your guitars I'm guessing there's some interesting discussions down the line in the future.

As for neck recommendations, for my latest build I chose a bloodwood neck with a black ebony fretboard. Looks awesome, but soundwise I prefer my roasted maple neck.

Thanks Logrinn! Nice to meet you. Thank you for the kind words. Just checked out your build link, holy moly! I love the contrast between the jet black fretboard, the red body, and the creme pickups. Beautiful!

Tipperman said:
Thanks Logrinn! Nice to meet you. Thank you for the kind words. Just checked out your build link, holy moly! I love the contrast between the jet black fretboard, the red body, and the creme pickups. Beautiful!

Thank you. I entered it in the GOM this month :icon_biggrin:
But ... the competition is always fierce.

Welcome back from another newbie, Tipperman. Those are fine guitars. I'll second Logrinn's use of roasted maple for necks. I've built two guitars with them and am a total convert. They sound great, like any good maple neck, but feel even better than anything else I've used. Some like to burnish the raw necks but I like them fine the way they come from Warmoth. Either way, you'll probably love it.

Nice guitars. As for wood suggestions I don't have any. but for pickups to get between Maiden and back to funk etc. I like the DiMarzio Mo Jo for bridge and Paf joe for neck. They clean up nice because of the alnico vs the ceramic magnets you find in a lot of metal oriented pickups. I have been wanting to try out some railhammers but have not done so yet.  :headbanging:

Thanks Rgand and Zhaezzy! I'm pretty proud of them, playing the strat right now. I love that thing so much.

Howdy and welcome back. For nitro finishing there is a forum member who is held in good regard and I myself have used MJT and been really happy with the results and customer service. I have to agree with your goal of putting a set of Mother's Milks in your strat.

Back