POLL: How many people needed to shim their neck pocket?

How many people, if both neck and body are Warmoth, have had to shim the neck?

• Never, its always been a perfect fit.

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • Infrequently. Ive done a few builds and only one or two needed shiming.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Frequently. Ive done a few builds and most needed shiming

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Always. Ive have had to shim every Warmoth build I did.

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

rhythm

My body will be here shortly to unite with my neck and I am wondering how real the need to shiming may be?

So far, I've only done one build and the neck fit was perfect.  It was just snug. No gaps, no shaving or shimming required.

jimh said:
So far, I've only done one build and the neck fit was perfect.  It was just snug. No gaps, no shaving or shimming required.

That is what I am hoping for.

jimh said:

Same here, 1 for 1.

Two builds so far and the only thing I have had to do is lightly sand one neck pocket to allow the finished neck to fit properly.

it all depends on the customer's preferred set-up. the lower and more insane the action, the higher the probability that the neck will not only need to be shimmed but also that the frets will need microscopic detail to their levelling.

all the best,

R

My Warmoth neck+body needed no shimming.  My Squier neck+Warmoth body needed negative shimming... I sanded the neck heel because the neck was much cheaper than the body.

I've done a lot of builds and have yet to see an issue with Warmoth body + Warmoth neck, or putting Warmoth neck on American Fender body. I have had to do significant sanding (in lieu of shimming) to get correct neck angle on a couple of Musikraft necks on Warmoth bodies.

How do you know if the neck needs shiming? If it is just a tiny bit out, how would you know?  :icon_scratch:

Remember, Ive ordered the parts, but I am yet to do a build. :help:

if you have properly adjusted the relief on your neck, and have bottomed out your bridges saddles but still have action that is too high ... a properly installed shim may just be the ticket to set-up perfection

all the best,

R

If you can't get the action you want by adjusting the bridge and neck, you need to shim the neck

I've had to shim more girlfriends than Warmoth neck pockets.  Neck pockets are low maintenance too.

-CB- said:
I've had to shim more girlfriends than Warmoth neck pockets.  Neck pockets are low maintenance too.

Uh, how do you shim a woman?  And please keep it PG-13, Max is only 15 years old!

13 if you read Jacks post on fantasy guitars :binkybaby:

oh, nevermind. :p 15 it is.

But shouldn't we think of Wanna?

Back