polish on a tru-oil finish?

hachikid

Hey guys. I finished epoxying a fretless Goncalo Alves neck a few days ago, and I ended up snading up to 3000 grit and then using Meguiar's M205 to bring the epoxy up to a deep gloss shine with a drill bit buffing wheel.

For the rest of the neck, I ended up using tru-oil to bring out details in the grain more as well as darken the wood a little bit. I'm on the 5th coat right now, but I eventually plan to bring the front and back of the headstock to a full polish to match the polished fingerboard. Can I just use the Meguiar's M205 on the Goncalo Alves as well? Or should I use some other sort of finish as well? If so, any recommendations?

Hey, hachikid, long time no see!  I am afraid I don't have an opinion on the finishing question, but I wanted to acknowledge your presence.  Hope things are well with you.  My son recently moved down to Alabama with his mom, they're in Fairhope now on the east side of Mobile Bay.  Just in time for hurricane season to go nuts, pretty awesome. 

Anyway, good luck on the neck finishing.  We'd love to see photos.

Bagman

Howdy! Yea, it's been a while. Haha. Once the facebook group got formed, I started posting there more. I'm actually out in Austin, now! I should probably change my profile, lol. I hope they stay safe. It's getting weird this year. Yea, will do, though! The epoxy came out great, I'm just trying to figure out this tru-oil stuff and how to polish bare wood.

I've had good luck with using swirl remover on tru-oil.  Just make sure the tru-oil has set for at least two weeks, maybe a month depending on your humidity.

Back