Please Vote on a New Proposed Rule

Should GOM contestants be allowed to link to their entry's build thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GOM

Someone brought up the fact that technically you are only allowed to have 2 photos in the contest thread, but that a lot of people are linking to their build threads which often contain a lot more photos.  I can definitely see 2 sides to the argument, but I thought it would be nice to have a vote on it and see if you guys think we should change the official rules.

Please cast your vote, and feel free to comment, but please keep it civil if there are any disagreements.  I've set the poll up so that you can change your vote if you need to, but the result will not be revealed until May 29th.  Thanks, everyone!

Given that anyone who wants to see a user's build thread can do so with a quick search anyway, I don't see any harm in it. Presumably the rule about photos is just to avoid massive cluttering of the thread anyway, and a quick link to a build thread doesn't clutter the thread at all.

Sorry to be awkward but I think there's a third way here. As a lot of the time there will be gallery and/or just out of the box and/or work in progress threads that people will have seen already or could seek out, I don't think it's a problem to have links to those threads. But, maybe actually posting additional pictures within the submissions thread itself should be ruled out. I doubt it makes a difference to the way the actual voting goes though.

Fat Pete said:
Sorry to be awkward but I think there's a third way here. As a lot of the time there will be gallery and/or just out of the box and/or work in progress threads that people will have seen already or could seek out, I don't think it's a problem to have links to those threads. But, maybe actually posting additional pictures within the submissions thread itself should be ruled out. I doubt it makes a difference to the way the actual voting goes though.

Good idea.  However this vote goes, I think adding a note in the rules about posting extra pictures directly into the submission thread will need to happen.  Thanks for your input!

I love seeing pictures of peoples instruments, and in many cases two pics will not fully convey the instrument. I think they should at least be able to  link to  the build  thread because some may not be too easy to find, though I can understand not having too many pics flooding the contest thread itself.

I favor a link to the build thread or the final thread in the gallery.  If I am to give my vote, I'd like to be able to easily evaluate the candidate as completely as I can.

I think it's a good idea to have links to a build thread and gallery thread.

Even if people can search, by the links being there it's simply a lot more convenient.

Yes to links. No to extra pics. As noted by many above, it's easy to search and find the build or out-of-the box or gallery threads for more pics.

stratamania said:

Even if people can search, by the links being there it's simply a lot more convenient.

Yes, the point I was making was that if there are other photos elsewhere on the forum, there's no reason to make them more difficult to find but, as others have said, including extra photos within the actual submission thread clutters it and, just maybe, biases things against the folks who haven't posted other pics or 'hyped' interest with work in progress threads etc.

Fat Pete said:
stratamania said:

Yes, the point I was making was that if there are other photos elsewhere on the forum, there's no reason to make them more difficult to find but, as others have said, including extra photos within the actual submission thread clutters it and, just maybe, biases things against the folks who haven't posted other pics or 'hyped' interest with work in progress threads etc.

Yes if there are links then there is no need for extra photos in the submission thread.

I am not sure what you mean by 'hyping' it's only a friendly competition isn't it ?

I voted 'NO', but my vote was based on the ''extra pictures'' factor. I actually have no problem at all with a link to a build, and always enjoy seeing more guitar pics, but the GOM thread shouldn't be bogged down with those pics...keep the GOM streamlined, with build links (if so desired by a builder) to additional photos and info.

stratamania said:
I am not sure what you mean by 'hyping' it's only a friendly competition isn't it ?
Friendly? I don't know what you mean  :icon_scratch:

Seriously though, by 'hyping' I just meant, as a purely random example, an entrant who builds a sonic blue Tele that has already had heavy exposure in other threads, might have a better chance of winning than an entrant whose only exposure is 2 pictures in the submission thread. Just a little semi-self-deprecating comment - not actually an argument that stands up to any kind of scrutiny.

I'm surprised this even needs to have a vote. If someone wants to link to their build thread, then do it. Unless, you're talking about having it right in the submission.

As for the extra pics, I agree that we don't want to clutter up the submission thread.

GOM said:
I can definitely see 2 sides to the argument

Can someone please explain why a "no" vote would be justified? IMO, half of the spirit of the GOTM contests is seeing the full build threads, including numerous and detailed pictures, progress leading up the finished product, the rationale behind the design choices, etc. Just having two pictures and a paragraph about the instrument turns this into a popularity contest. Without build threads, casting a vote is like speed dating. You sit down with a date for five minutes of small talk, and then you switch tables and do it again many more times, and then you make a pointless decision on which date you liked best. I would much rather get to know the entries before I vote.

I know I complain too much, but this is the dumbest thing I've heard all month.  :dontknow:

Well, per the rules, the pics are sent via email and posted by those running the contest.  Any post afterward should be able to contain whatever as it is included in "discussion." If someone asks a question like, "How did you do the _________? or What does the __________ look like?", a pic with a few words can best explain it.  This is a forum that likes pics anyway.  I see no need for another disqualification method to complicate an already scrutinized contest conducted by volunteers that really offers nothing more than a congratulatory pat on the back.

Great Ape said:
I voted 'NO', but my vote was based on the ''extra pictures'' factor.
What extra pictures factor? The poll question is "Should GOM contestants be allowed to link to their entry's build thread?". There's no mention of allowing extra pictures in either the first post or the poll.

Fat Pete said:
Again, just to be clear: nobody suggested allowing extra pictures in the submissions thread.

Back