Ping Floyd Roses

kataar

They are the only other Floyd Rose trems, besides those made by the man himself, that are high enough quality to actually have his name put on it. From what I've seen, 1) all the specs are exactly the same as an original floyd, except with a brass sustain block for a warmer sound and more sustain, 2) it costs less, and 3) the ratings its recieved have been higher than the original. so what do you think about these guys?

I thought the OFR had a brass sustain block but it was coated with a silver/chrome/grey color.

naw, I took some looking around to confirm what it was made out of, and the OFL block is solid steel.

CD said:
Cool. You could always buy a brass block off ebay I guess.
yeah, but the ping starts out cheaper. so if you like the sound of a brass block, then you could go for the cheaper option instead of buying an OFR and grabbing a new brass block.

Kataar said:
CD said:
Cool. You could always buy a brass block off ebay I guess.
yeah, but the ping starts out cheaper. so if you like the sound of a brass block, then you could go for the cheaper option instead of buying an OFR and grabbing a new brass block.

I didn't realize the price on the Ping floyd. I just got a Schaller floyd for a project I'm building. What do you think of those bridges?

The best floaters out there are the Ibanez Edge, Lo Pro Edge, Edge Pro, Original Floyd Rose, Schaller, or Gotoh. (do not confuse "Original Floyd Rose" with the many crappy licensed far east imports)

The Original Floyd Rose is hardened steel and will have a "brighter" tone than any of the others (die cast). Wither or not this is good or bad can debated elsewhere.

The Ibanez models listed above are the only ones you should consider from Ibanez. Furthermore the original Edge and Lo Pro use locking pivot studs for even better tuning stability. The following Ibanez models Lo TRS, Lo TRS II, Edge Pro II, and Edge Pro III are not recommended.

The Original Floyd Rose and the original Ibanez Edge are considered to have the best "flutter" ability, and some argue the best "feel". Both Steve Vai and Joe Satriani still use the original Edge bridge.

I personally prefer the Original Floyd Rose and the Ibanez Lo Pro, but have used the original Edge, Schaller and Edge Pro. I am not suggesting one over the other, only offering up what my experience has been. However, if you are unfamiliar with all the models and need a solid recommendation, go with the OFR or Schaller. (Floyd "brighter", Schaller "warmer")

Hope that helps

You must not have played a newer Ibanez with the ZR tremolo. It is truely fantastic. It doesn't have knife edges, instead it pivots with ball bearings. Very smooth feeling.

oh my gosh, yes! the ZR trem is so heavenly...  it just makes you wanna do this:  :headbang:  :D

CD said:
You must not have played a newer Ibanez with the ZR tremolo. It is truely fantastic. It doesn't have knife edges, instead it pivots with ball bearings. Very smooth feeling.

I've had the ZR on two instruments.. It comes with a hipshot type device installed in the trem cavity.. Personally I didn't care for it but once removed (easy removal &re-install) I was very pleased with the ZR.. My concern is that the trem has not been road tested long enough yet to qualm concerns about the longevity of the axle bearings.. I've read a few horror stories already about malfunctions..

CD said:

Have seen it, but don't care for S models.

The S sounds a bit thin, but I enjoy the tremolo. Too bad they won't put the thing on an RG.

I think there has been some discussion on the Ibanez forum about that happening, but who knows with Ibanez.

i have one of the ping trems on my paduak body maple neck in the strat forum its the best floyd type trem ive ever tried they are 100% quality through and through so good i bought a second one for my next build. you wont be dissapointed if you get one

I just ordered a ping floyd in black, cost me $150, and I'm anxious to get this new Wild Maple soloist done, it's gonna be hot as hell....I've used Schaller floyds for years, have one on my conklin, but it's hard to get good pinched harmonics out of it, hope the Ping is better

I have 3 guitars with Floyd Pings, and 2 with OFR, I have an Ibanez with I dont know what.

I cant tell ant difference between the ping or the OFR

Where do you Buy The ping from?  $140?

John

You can grab the ping from axcessories. thats the only place that Ive been able to find them. (unless Warmoth decides to carry 'em  :icon_biggrin:)

http://www.axcessories.com/products.asp?cat=132

I got my Ping from axcessories too, but he doesn't carry one in gold, which blows, so I had to pay more for an OFR to match my hardware.  I don't think I'll do gold hardware again, it's overpriced.

Back