Ping Floyd Roses

The Original Floyd I bought from Warmoth in Dec of '07 did indeed have a brass block with silver finish.  I can see the brass color in the holes, and I did the magnet test.  I'm concerned that the OFR of late may not be made as well as they used to (see: http://www.suhrguitars.com/bridges.aspx) because I've had the saddles clunk in to position as I fine-tuned them.  The Ping Floyd might be worth a try.

Eric S. said:
I'm concerned that the OFR of late may not be made as well as they used to

They are not made as well. They are lighter, and to me feel cheaper that the older ones. Now that doesn't mean I won't use them. I have 3 of them and one that I had installed in a strat over 22 years ago

I got a Floyd Rose PRO model a few years back and was surprised to find it had a brass block. It was a nice surprise because I had to do some work to it, to make it fit in a guitar and my files cut through it very easily. If it were steel i would've been      :(

As far as quality today vs. old. I have two OFR's from roughly '84/'85 & my main beef with both of them is the saddles gunk up very easily from sweat. I sweat really bad. This happens with my PRO also. I just recently cleaned two of them, WD-40 to get the saddles unstuck, the whole 9 yards. What happens when they are gunked up is if you try to go flat with a fine tuner it just stays. You have to push the string lock bolt up (flat). Anyway, I cleaned them a couple weeks maybe a month½ ago and they are already showing signs of sticking again. I don't even play them exclusively. I have about five Ibanez RG's i play more often and I'll tell you what, the Edge tremolos don't do this. I have played them much more in the last five years, than my OFR guitars, and I have had to clean (unstick) exactly one saddle on one of them. I don't know why my sweat doesn't affect the Edge trems as much.

Back