Piezo for Solidbody - Teach me!

zebra

I'm considering installing a piezo system on a solidbody.  The only systems I've really heard anything about are Graphtech's Ghost/Acousti-phonic and LR Bagg's X-bridge. 

I'm not necessarily interested in creating "realistic" acoustic sounds - I'm more interested in having access to a different texture, and what Swarfrat has referred to as "liveliness at volume". 

- What have you tried, and liked/not liked?
- What are some things to consider?
- If I wanted to mix with magnetic pickups, do certain types of magnetic picks or wiring arrangements work better than others? 

Thanks for your input!  :icon_thumright:

Well I have a Godin Flat Five X with has a setup similar to the LR Baggs. Works quite well.
Make sure you use a separate preamp for the piezo side. You also want dedicated tone controls for the piezo side as all possible.
The way wine is setup, I have 2 output jacks.  1 allows a single cord out and the ability to pan between mags and piezo. Or You can use both and 1 cord is for mags and the other for piezo.

Very good looking playing and sounding guitar.  Due to financial needs, I am considering selling it. If interested PM me.

TBurst Std said:
Well I have a Godin Flat Five X with has a setup similar to the LR Baggs. Works quite well.
Make sure you use a separate preamp for the piezo side. You also want dedicated tone controls for the piezo side as all possible.
The way wine is setup, I have 2 output jacks.  1 allows a single cord out and the ability to pan between mags and piezo. Or You can use both and 1 cord is for mags and the other for piezo.

Very good looking playing and sounding guitar.  Due to financial needs, I am considering selling it. If interested PM me.

Thanks for the input.  I used to have a Godin Freeway - they make good stuff!

RMC in Berkeley, CA makes excellent  piezo saddles.  I have them on a heavily modified Fernandes Masterhand guitar.  I have a blend pot where I can pan from all magnetic pickups, to a blend, to all piezo. 

Bill, tgo

I have a piezo on one of my guitars and yeah it sounds different from the tone of the magnetic pickups but it wasn't until I finally tried plugging into a Fishman Loudbox acoustic amp that I noticed a night and day difference.

Piezo ==> Guitar amp Noon/afternoon

Piezo ==> Acoustic amp Noon/midnight

I'm not sure if an acoustic preamp can coax that kind of difference out of a piezo from a "regular electric guitar amp"  but again for the third time don't judge a piezo until you plug it into an acoustic amp.

Actually more important than that is the appropriate IR. An acoustic amp gets you closer to that than an electric amp

Here’s a clip of a strat into a decent IR

http://www.javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/acoustic2016.mp3

Back