Pickup problem

Steiger

Hey guys,

I purchased a set of woodstock plus pickups and while inspecting them straight out of the box i noticed a wire that the other pickups have isn't connected. See exhibit A.

Apologies for the poor pick - it's a camera phone and I've drawn in the wire I'm talking about.

My best description is that it's wire that wraps around the front of the pickup from a soldering point on top to a soldering point underneath. The other 2 pickups have this wire intact.

I have contacted Kinman and I'm waiting for their response, but in the mean time I was wondering what the experts here think.

Thanks for the quick reply Blue313. It's the middle pickup for a strat. As for the baseplate, sorry I'm not sure but I don't think it has a base plate.

Gotta love Murphy's Law....

I checked the kinman website before I posted here and emailed them and of course now I found this which I think answers my question:

38) I noticed a loose/broken wire at the coil termination point in the baseplate (the one where the Red output cable is connected), is this anything to be concerned about?

There are 2 loops of wire from the coil that pass through that termination point in the base plate where the cable connects. The primary connection is achieved in the first pass. Often the end of the second loop will come adrift but it's nothing to worry about. That secondary loop is only there to ensure that the first loop doesn't come adrift.

When terminating the coil wires they are passed through the brass eyelet and looped around the baseplate and back through the eyelet a couple of times to ensure a good connection and anchor the wire prior to soldering. Sometimes the wire breaks short or gets rubbed off on the outside. As long as the coil wire is attached to the eyelet and goes to the coil all is well.

Here is a pic that shows it pretty well.

MocamboPup.jpg

TroubledTreble said:
When terminating the coil wires they are passed through the brass eyelet and looped around the baseplate and back through the eyelet a couple of times to ensure a good connection and anchor the wire prior to soldering. Sometimes the wire breaks short or gets rubbed off on the outside. As long as the coil wire is attached to the eyelet and goes to the coil all is well.

Here is a pic that shows it pretty well.

MocamboPup.jpg

Nice one, Thanks TT

amen TT, be really careful with the windings when installing!

Gee are the Kinmans the only ones with this pecularity? Seems a bit finicky.

and thats why I (also) dont like singelcoil picups  :glasses9: those wires always break!

Back