Pickup fitment ?

M

martin007

Hi,
Just putting together my first all Warmoth guitar, previously I only used the necks. But i've hit a problem. Mines a rear route strat with a H/S/H route. I've fitted the humbuckers with rings and the single coil is causing me the problem. Do I screw it directly into the wood to fit? Or do I mount the single coil on the rubber bushes? If it fits directly to the wood it will be low compared to the strings. Any help would be really appreciated. The single coil is a seymour duncan .
Thanks in advance.

Typically you would put some hard foam rubber like material under the pickup (this usually comes with pickups like P90s designed to mount directly to wood) and screw down to wood. The "sponginess"/resistance allows it to push against the PU to get to proper height.

Don't see any of that material on the Warmoth site, anyone know what you actually call it?

jackthehack said:
Don't see any of that material on the Warmoth site, anyone know what you actually call it?

Many/most pickups come shipped in plastic cases with foam rubber inside the case.  Try using the foam rubber from the packing material.  Works for me!

-Eric.

Many thanks, i'll give it a try. Now if only i'd remembered to get the body fitted with trem inserts I could play it tonight. :doh:

Insert Quote
Many thanks, i'll give it a try. Now if only i'd remembered to get the body fitted with trem inserts I could play it tonight.  :doh:

Ahh trem inserts. Those can be a bit tricky to get in yourself. I'm sure there are a lot of experienced insert pushers here.

If you need a way to do it I can share how I did mine.

1. Ream or sand the hole just a little bit to create a bevel around the edge.
2. Set the body on the table of a drill press with some hard cardboard under it. Cardboard like comes on a legal pad.
3. Screw the post into the insert. Wax the outside of the insert.
4. Place insert into the chuck of the drill press. Actually only the post goes in the chuck, the insert hangs below.
5. DO NOT TURN ON DRILL PRESS!
6. Slowly press insert into body.
7. After the desiered depth, unchuck the post and do the other one.

The first time I did this it made a little pop as it started going in. I dropped a brick in my pants but all was well.

Good luck! any pics?

Oh yeah, after you mount those single coils, you can cut and fit a piece of black felt to neatly cover the mounting screws.

-TT-

That's the wuss method - just get out a small hammer, start the thing in straight, then cover with a folded up washcloth when you get close to the wood and pound it on home. Simple, quick, exciting!!!

jackthehack said:
That's the wuss method - just get out a small hammer, start the thing in straight, then cover with a folded up washcloth when you get close to the wood and pound it on home. Simple, quick, exciting!!!

.....And the bigger the hammer, the bigger the buzz. :evil4:

Back