Pickguard colors help!

wiretap

Hey, everyone, I apologize if there is a thread on this already, I did a search but forum searches are sometimes a little weird on an iphone.

Anywho- working on my first partscaster and looking to get a new pickguard. The guitar is a daphne blue tele and currently it has an all white 1-ply PG, but I definitely need to swap that out for either a parchment or mint green 3-ply. Since warmoth doesn't have actual photos of their guards, if any of you have purchased either a parchment or mint green and have photos, I would love to see! Would aid me in decided which one to get. Even better if your guitar is of the daphne/sonic or seafoam varieties. I am also up for maybe doing a cream guard as well, basically looking to give it an older vibe.

And so my first post on the board is proper, here's a top and flank shot. Work in progress and not so great photos but stoked to get this thing up and running nonetheless..

A89F272B-DC70-4D97-9252-40260D782189_zpslgzwsfv4.jpg

82674D71-2D87-43A0-BC45-9942FD3D6D12_zpsjdgivs8m.jpg

I haven't a picture with anything blue handy to share at the moment, but here's a build with mint green on olympic white:

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=23467.0

if you want an old vibe, then go with the mint green. W's mg is very subtle and I have been pleased with the used-to-be-white look of it every time I've ordered it. Hands-down, a minty is the 'guard for that project; parchment can be a bit glow-in-the-dark looking, in my opinion, and doesn't always bring "vintage" to mind.

Sweet classic Tele, BTW...

I like the idea of cream, not just the older vibe, but I think the muted yellow-white pairs with the muted blue of Daphne blue.

swarfrat said:
I like the idea of cream, not just the older vibe, but I think the muted yellow-white pairs with the muted blue of Daphne blue.

I mentioned cream as an afterthought when I posted this but now I'm leaning towards that more than the others, I definitely agree with you!

Day-mun said:
I haven't a picture with anything blue handy to share at the moment, but here's a build with mint green on olympic white:

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=23467.0

if you want an old vibe, then go with the mint green. W's mg is very subtle and I have been pleased with the used-to-be-white look of it every time I've ordered it. Hands-down, a minty is the 'guard for that project; parchment can be a bit glow-in-the-dark looking, in my opinion, and doesn't always bring "vintage" to mind.

Sweet classic Tele, BTW...

That mint is a nice shade. I might have to buy more than one. Decisions!

Hi: I took the liberty to borrow your photo and photoshop some colors in to visualize them. Here is an approximation of mint green, then parchment (maybe closer to a cream), and then there's one of what I would do, which is black.

dphnebluteleforpkgrdcolorchgmint.jpg

dphnebluteleforpkgrdcolorchgprchmt.jpg

dphnebluteleforpkgrdcolorchgblk.jpg

I get that mint is vintage-correct(ish), but isn't it the case that mint was basically a defect in pickguards that were supposed to be white?  No point in perpetuating the screwups of the past.

Also, it doesn't look good on that lovely blue.

I'm with Mr. Pinter - Black > cream > mint.

But I'm close to even-Steven on black vs. cream.

Cream is currently the front-runner. I feel like black would clash with the binding on the body.

Bagman67 said:
Also, it doesn't look good on that lovely blue.

Oh, I beg to differ... but I got no proof; fretless pulled his photos of his sonic blue P-bass with a minty 'guard.

but I bet you'll like whatcha see if you google images for daphne blue mint green.  :laughing7:

For example:
images

I'll pile on for the cream, too. Complements the blue and matches the binding. Green generally doesn't mate well with blue.

Cream it is! Parchment doesn't seem like it's as dark as I would want, and green is more of a "could be cool". Maybe I'll get the mint in the future just to experiment.

I still like the black best. A cream pick guard is almost guaranteed to not exactly match the binding anyway; and black pretty much goes with anything. I could live with cream, though, I guess.

EDIT: I was typing this while you were posting. OK then - I'm sure it'll look great in either black or cream :)

Thanks for all the help, dudes! Cream guard arrived today and I gotta say, I am quite pleased. A perfect fit as well. Also picked up some ferrules and a string tree, look like quality parts. Fast shipping, too. Can't complain about my first Warmoth order. Sorry for the photo quality, camera phone and photobucket makes everything look like shit!

C165542F-922D-49C0-8B48-F058791681C2_zpsokeprd2r.jpg

4375B0F4-1B0F-4647-B625-0F6CA590A8A7_zpsk9aumj8b.jpg

Here's a little side by side before (top) and after (bottom):

6D2AF40C-C963-416D-ADAD-3B0A233C266A_zpsigadht7f.jpg

And one more photo under different lighting for good measure. This finish and white/cream are colors that are just all over the place on cameras and lighting. Especially a phone.

C1D0484B-95F6-419F-AF8A-166EDDBA684C_zpshx2a4ro0.jpg

I won't lie, I'll probably ended up buying a mint guard as well at some point for the hell of it.

Pickups will be in tomorrow and this thing should be up and running very soon.

Back