Pick-up placement in a P-J configuration

Steve Camp

I built a warmoth p-bass [P-J configuration] I used a vintage style  fender 4 saddle bridge.  I didn't like the sound of the pick-up blend. the J, which is a [fralin split-jazz humbucker overwound 5%] was too close to the P- pick-up resulting in a crappy sound when blending the pick-ups.  the J- was 2" from the bridge, I filled the hole in, re-routed and moved it back toward the bridge [its about 1 7/8" now and sounds more like a jazz bass growl  and blends better with the P- pick-up now, does anybody have some input on this?. thanks...............Steve

Did it sound thin and weak when both volumes were wide open?  Did each pickup sound OK on its own?  If you answered yes to both questions, you may have had the pickups out of phase.

My pj sounds great in the standard placement with both pups on. However, I usually like the distinctive sound of one or the other rather than combined - but I wouldn't call the combination crappy.
Are you sure that moving it 1/8" made all the difference?

Maybe they were out of phase like Wyliee stated, and in the process of de-wiring it to move the route it got wired correctly on the re-install.  That's why it sounds better now?

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Maybe they were out of phase like Wyliee stated, and in the process of de-wiring it to move the route it got wired correctly on the re-install.  That's why it sounds better now?
no , it was wired correctly before, and after the route.

Back