Photos of Stained Jazzmaster body

Anaura

Here are some photos in both natural light and using flash.
I took these right after I wiped the stain off the alder body.

I'm curious to see what it looks like after it dries completely. I may do one or more applications to even it out a bit.
Then its sanding sealer and nitro.

Cheers,
Alex

Hey that looks great, but you don't really need to make a new topic for every post you know :)

Agree, nice guitar, I just used some of the same stain myself, but one post per finishing job is plenty please.

Now I'm wondering if I should sand it back a bit and then stain again to pop the grain. Any suggestions?

That technique works well with hard, highly figured wood. 

There is a thread about staining poplar just below this one, tfarny improved his results with more and more applications of stain.  Pigment stains can also be manipulated somewhat like paint to even out things a bit.

I'd advise against sanding back to bare wood - you'd need to remove somewhere between 1/8" - 1/16" at a minimum.

I don't say this to be a smart### but, have you considered paint?

Thanks for the advice Keyser! I think I'll add another coat and go from there. I like the way its looking. The end grain is super dark but I don't mind at all. Its almost like a mini-burst. lol!

Cheers.

I've applied three coats of stewmac sanding sealer. Should I be lightly sanding at this stage? There are quite a few particles in the sealer but I'm worried that if I sand I'll get into the wood. Suggestions?

Use very fine paper (320 - 400 grit) on a backing pad (I use old sanding pads - thick stiff ones on the flats and a doubled over thin one for conforming to the curves) and lightly sand the entire surface.  I probably should repeat the part about sanding lightly - the less downward pressure you apply the less likely you are to sand through the seal coats.  Even if you do, the fine grit and light pressure will be unlikely to cut through the stained wood into the bare stuff. 

Also, wash your hands prior to sanding (to remove any stray oils/soaps etc) then use your fingers to measure your progress.  What you want is a smooth surface.  If it feels smooth, it is smooth.

Eek. I got a little sand through on the bottom side. Nothing huge. I debated wheither to apply some stain to fix it but I thought I might make it worse so I applied another coat of sanding sealer. One or two more coats and then it's nitro time. Just curious, if one has sand through, is it possible to restain the area?

Here are new photos since I've sprayed nitro.
I ended up getting one more can of nitro because I thought the build-up was thin and I haven't sanded nitro before. So a total of 5 cans.

Next up, the waiting game for it to cure and then sanding. I'm actually still worried about sand-through.
Any suggestions on sanding highly appreciated.

Wet sanded and buffed!
800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 grits.
Medium polish and Fine polishing compound.

I should have stayed on 800 and gone deeper into the nitro because I have very small 'pinholes' in the finish.
Its my first finishing job so I learned a lot. I was worried about sanding through to the wood.

Next up:
Install the tuners and string tree.
Route the pickguard for a Jaguar neck pickup. (Warmoth doesn't route for Jag pups)
I may try and do the wiring myself.
Then off to the shop for final set up.

I was wondering how well this would turn out for a long time, but its very very nice :icon_thumright:

Back