Period Correct Bridge and Tone

Micahbell

I am trying to recreate the sound of a 62 P bass.
I was planning to use a Hipshot A style bridge because I like the features, and the vintage look doesn't matter because I was going to cover it up with a bridge cover, but what will the tone difference be?
Should I go with one of these guys?
000-FTBO-000.jpg

If you're going for a vintage look, sure; but I don't see how the actual tone of the bass would be tremendously different than if you used something like a Gotoh 201..

Those are still the same style, tho.
It is going to be between one of those or something like this:
210.jpg

I would rather have the versatility and control of the Hipshot one, pictured here, but if it is going to be giving me a vastly different tone then the one I am after, I won't.

The '62 has a 4 saddle top load bridge and not the one in your picture, which was on the earliest basses before '57. The hipshot will be fine.  :icon_thumright:

I'll let some of the more experienced bass builders/players weigh in; but from a pure physics approach to vibrating strings, one bridge isn't going to sound all that much different from another; I'd go for something like the latter with better individual string height adjustment if not purely after a vintage look. Your selection of pickup(s) is going to be the biggest factor in that regard, along with a maple neck

Ok, thanks for the input guys.
As I said, I'm covering it with the ashtray anyway so I don't care about the look, so if it doesn't make a big difference I will go for the more versatile ones.

Willyk- thanks for the correction. I played one of the Fender re-issues and it had a 2 saddle, and I thought that it was the '62, but after looking around it appears I was wrong.

Back