Pedal Effect Poll

Vote for your favorite manufacturer of Pedal Effects, Stomp Boxes, Volume Pedals, Wah's etc. Contin

• BOSS/Roland

Votes: 30 23.8%
  • MXR/Dunlop

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • DigiTech

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Line 6

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • Vox

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Morley

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 45 35.7%

• Total voters
My daughter gave me a mighty mouse for Christmas. I really love this thing. I had forgotten how much I use a multi-function mouse when available.
Don

D.smeal said:
My daughter gave me a mighty mouse for Christmas. I really love this thing. I had forgotten how much I use a multi-function mouse when available.
Don

Check out this guy's previous post, they're pretty funny in their obviousness :)

Pedals are unpredictable, they behave differently with different amps!

I know what I don't like. I can't stand anything with a menu, even my cell phone is ancient... I've sold my racks many years ago and it's only pedals for me. I prefer new pedals, there are many companies cloning or making new exciting pedals.

My list:
Budda Bud-Wah+
Barber Tone Press
Xotic BB preamp
Tonefreak Abunai 2
Lovepedal Kanji Eternity
Marshall Shreadmaster
Analog Man Stereo Bi Chorus
Line6 Echo Park

As long as I have this setup (SF Bassman & Epiphone Valve Jr.) all are keepers. I wouldn't mind trading the Line 6 with the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay though... :toothy10:

My effect setup is, in the order I have them:

Morley PBA-2 Dual Bass Wah
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Boss OC-3
Boss ODB-3 (For light overdrive with a little mid boost)
Boss NS-2
Dunlop MXR M-80 (For eq and a more heavy overdrive with the mids scooped out more)
The M-80 eq preset doesn't have any noise and it has it's own noise gate for the distortion effect. I got that so I can be a little less dependant on a particular amp, even tough I want to get a SVT-6 one day because I love the sound of Ampegs and the SVT-6 has a built-in compressor.

zoom g9.2tt              sounds good and lots of effects, but multi-effects are for lamos. Gunna get individual pedals someday

Zvex is my current favorite for distortion/fuzz, but I'm hankering for a WMD Geiger Counter.  I've been into tonal destruction lately and need more bit crushing and sample rate reduction in my life.  Here's what I have in my set-up:

Zvex Vextor FuzzFactory, Box of Metal, Machine
Reboxed Russian Big Muff Pi
Digitech Whammy II
A/DA Flanger (original!)
Moogerfooger low pass filter
Boss DM-2 analog delay

The Zvex Machine pedal is especially weird/interesting/cool -- paired with the Big Muff it produces a blistering distortion with a nice, filter modulation-like roll-off.  Check out the Zvex videos and you'll hear it.  Next up are the Geiger Counter and an Empress Superdelay (after saving up for years and years).

Current pedal setup, changes from time to time depending on the amp I'm using:
Modded Ibanez TS-7 (follows original TS-9 circuit, and you can buy 3 for the price of one TS-9)
Modded Boss DS-1
Modded Lyon Distortion (part-for-part DS-1 clone, but with higher quality caps out of the box, also a 2-band EQ)
Modded Boss CE-3 (again, 1/4 of the price of a CE-2, and can be modded to sound very, very close)
DIY TS/SD-1 clone modded until I don't know what to call it
DIY DOD 250, diodes pulled out to make it a beautiful and transparent clean boost
(2) Danelectro Fab Metals (the best $25-total-I've ever spent on pedals) unmodded, if you can believe that
Modded Danelectro Fab Echo
DIY Silicon based rangemaster
DIY Silicon Fuzz-face type, though not really
DIY GE Big Muff
DIY "script-era" Phase 90
DIY FL301
All pedals modded or built by yours truly.
Also some true bypass boxes for all of the commercial pedals (except Boss), because the buffers sound horrible. I like the Boss buffers quite well.

SustainerPlayer said:
Eventide - simple as that.
If you don't mind digital (and some don't, which is cool with me, whatever makes you happy) Eventide is probably the best you can get. If you don't mind digital.

yyz2112 said:
If you don't mind digital (and some don't, which is cool with me, whatever makes you happy) Eventide is probably the best you can get. If you don't mind digital.

I don't mind. If your definition for ... sound/quality ... lies in the terms of analog/digital only ... I think you miss out on a great deal. 

SustainerPlayer said:
yyz2112 said:

I don't mind. If your definition for ... sound/quality ... lies in the terms of analog/digital only ... I think you miss out on a great deal. 

No, not at all...just personal preference. Some of the digital gear sounds great, and there is some flexibility to those units, definitely. I'm just tired of programming, which is another issue-there's no guarantee that your programs will sound good everywhere you play. To that end, just twisting a knob or 2 is the greater advantage, imho.

yyz2112 said:
No, not at all...just personal preference. Some of the digital gear sounds great, and there is some flexibility to those units, definitely. I'm just tired of programming, which is another issue-there's no guarantee that your programs will sound good everywhere you play. To that end, just twisting a knob or 2 is the greater advantage, imho.

Yeah - the interfaces are not always that accommodating for "spur of the moment changes". The balance between possibilities and easy operation tends to shift toward 'geekyness' on these units ... well ... 'geekyness' ... that's me  :icon_biggrin:

SustainerPlayer said:
yyz2112 said:

Yeah - the interfaces are not always that accommodating for "spur of the moment changes". The balance between possibilities and easy operation tends to shift toward 'geekyness' on these units ... well ... 'geekyness' ... that's me  :icon_biggrin:

Oh yeah, me too, no question. And that was another problem for me...I'd spend so much time programming and tweaking (geeking?) that I really neglected my playing. Of course, building pedals isn't exactly a quick proposition, so go figure.

I'm going to start working on programming myself an entirely custom digital effects processor unit in MaxMSP.  Now that I know how this program works I'm going to really get into it and see if I can't start making individual effects and synthesizers.  If I can get it working the way I want it to I'll be able to sell all my floorboard gear and just use a computer and a mixing board.  Hopefully a touchscreen monitor as well so I can tweak without a mouse on stage.

Sounds iffy I know,, which is why i'm going to see if I can get it working properly first.  I'll probably start a thread on my own to chronicle my progress.

pedals.jpg

Currently in use.  My vote is for Barber Electronics, his pedals are very well built. I have an early Barber  Direct Drive that's not pictured. Also, I have a Way Huge - Pork Loin under the tree, so we'll see how it is soon.

boss pedals all the way. if something breaks (never happens), gets lost or is stolen it can be replaced at a moments notice. they sell em everywhere

people spend crazy money for ibanez ts-808 clones and hotrodded versions and boss od-1 is basically a tube screamer. the schematic is identical, well close enough that i dont see someone telling the difference in a double blind listening test. i know i'll get ripped apart for that but it's true.
the boss sd-1 super overdrive is basically exactly what the modders do to tube screamers cept for the expensive caps and the the opamp may be diferent. i got mixed info on that. from what i understand it is a more hifi opamp from bur brown maybe. while the ol 742 in a ts-9 is one of the oldest and cheapest lofi pieces of crap that ever made it into audio, it just happens to clip well. the tube screamer guys are gonna disagree with that im sure, but ask an engineer.

blues driver blows all other overdrive pedals away. maybe not alot of distortion but that's not the idea of it

ds-1 is a classic, mine is robert keely modified. i happened to find it in a japanese music store. and the digital and analog delays are great.
i admit that they have some bad ones and i have mxr and other pedals that i wouldn't part with.

Back