Passive 5 String Music Man pickup wiring

Patrick from Davis

OK, I have looked up a couple of wiring diagrams, and it appears that these monsters are wired with 250K pots for a passive circuit.  I want to use a Nordstrand MM5.3, and have a push/push pot to allow for coil splitting on the thing.  I was looking to have a single volume and a single tone as the controls.  I sort of naturally went to the SD site for a diagram and got this

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=musicman_passive

Before I start lighting the card up, does anyone have any comments on the set up.  Is the 0.047 uf cap going to work well for normal/split modes?  Is 250K the correct value for the pots for this monster?  Any good diagrams for a push/push split coil circuit?

I am feeling sort of retarded because of my lack of bass circuit knowledge, and I am close to pulling the trigger on a bunch of things for the project.  Grr, just need a couple of more details straightened out before I go hog wild...
Patrick

so you're looking for a simple

Vol + Tone

control circuit, with the added capability of splitting off a coil on the MM5.3 (GREAT pickup btw!)

this is essentially the circuit for a P-bass with the coil tap switch diagramatically located between the pickup and the volume pot. you'll need a simple on/on toggle switch to ground out the coil (the instructions Nordstrand includes with the pickup tell you which wire color to ground)

250K pots are my preference with all of the Nordstrand pickup offerings as I just don't find the added (guitar range) high end from a 500K pot useful in the overall mix - it steps on too many toes of other instruments and vocls for my taste

all the best,

R

OK, then I was going in the right direction.  I do not want the high end to be like the clackity sound of the bass in Korn, so 250K's it is.  I will still probably have to look over the coil tapping wiring diagrams, but that is easy enough to dig up.  Thanks again for the info, time to start a blaze with the card...
Patrick

Back