Packages from Warmoth today.

drysideshooter

warmothstrat.jpg

I was in my shop working on a custom cabinet for a new 12" speaker when UPS delivered my Warmoth packages.  I have been really impressed with Warmoth so far.  They shipped it well within the estimate given when I placed the order.  They shipped it yesterday, and since I live on the other side of the state from them, it arrived today. Everything was very well packed and exceeded my expectations. the ends of the frets are nicely dressed.  The body will end up being something close to Olympic white.  I'm thinking about a couple black stripes or maybe carbon fiber looking stripes from the center of the rear, up to under the bridge. 

Enjoy your project.

Might I suggest you get a different picture hosting provider to Photobucket as it is highly likely your images will not show.

Cool! I see you opted for what the G&L guys like to call a "tone chamber" (rather than a swimming pool)  :laughing7:

That's bizzare, the pic was there for a while.  Any suggestions for another pic hosting site?

I did opt for the "tone chamber".  I may end up wiring up and trying a few different pickguards and I didn't want to be limited by the route.  Could end up with anything from P90's or an HSS configuration.  I suspect it will probably end up all single coils though. 

ON EDIT:  I used a different picture hosting site, hopefully that will work better.

For picture hosting, it seems Imgur is working out well on this and several other sites I'm familiar with. They're not the only game in town, though. Also, for dramatically less than Photobucket wants, you can lease your own commercial server space and not be subject to anywhere near the goofy stuff the "free" spots inflict. Remember, when the product seems free, it's because you're the product. They're collecting data on you like a kid in a candy store, only instead of eating it, they're selling it. Make sure you have good spam/adware/malware/script filters.

Thanks Cagey.  After reading a thread where you wrote about using threaded inserts for the neck, I'm planning to do that for this build. I may have some questions along the way.  I have a nice drill press as well as a mill, so getting the holes drilled, at 90deg and the right depth and such won't be a problem. 

If you've got those tools, I'm assuming you know how to use them. There really isn't that much to the whole insert thing. Get the hole diameter right, relieve it a bit, tap it, and install the inserts. Seems like I've done a photo series on it a couple/few times here, but I can't remember where to find them. I'll probably do a couple tomorrow, if you'd like a fresh treatment. It's fairly easy, fast and inexpensive, so I do it as a matter of course when setting up necks unless someone tells me not to. There's nothing but upside to it, so it's the rare neck that leaves here without inserts.

Prior to when you started threading the holes for the inserts, what did you use to install the insert? I've seen some folks that use a bolt (8-32 in this case?) with a nut on it to drive them in.  I've seen T handles tools for putting them in as well as a tool E-Z Lok makes that can be put in a chuck for putting them in.  I like how you countersink the holes a bit to help prevent blistering at the surface. That's a great idea.

I've tried the nut/bolt trick to install them and was bitterly disappointed. The amount of work involved to do it successfully and the high risk of failure makes it a non-starter. There's a fairly inexpensive ($10) driver tool that'll let you run them in with little risk to the insert or the workpiece...

94110a140p1-b01-digitall.png

They come in various sizes to suit the insert. At one time, I used to just drive the inserts in with that chucked into a drill motor, but it was sometimes less than satisfying. So, I started threading the holes, and using the same tool I could drive the inserts in by hand. Still tight, but dramatically less risk of going in off-axis or stripping the driver slots.

Thanks Cagey. Threading for the insert sounds like the way to go.  I will have to get a 5/16-16 bottoming tap.  Do you just screw the inserts in or do you use a bit of epoxy or other adhesive to keep them from back out?

I was using epoxy to set them at first, but it seemed to be unnecessary so I stopped doing it. The inserts go in tight enough that they don't need any help, and if the day comes where they need to be removed, having them fixated would just turn that into a nightmare. Necks are far too expensive to trash just because of overly aggressive attachment schemes.

Besides, unless the screw gets seized or cross-threaded in the insert, there's more friction holding the insert in place due to its large surface area than there is holding the screw. So, there's little risk of the insert backing out. Worst case? The insert backs out with the machine screw, and you're out. No harm, no foul. Install a new insert, and if it feels too loosey-goosey, then you can epoxy it. Deal with the seized screw/insert leftover on the body separately.

Drysider, where are you located? I’m in Pomeroy, Wa in the far southeast corner. Nice to have another dryside guitarist around. :)

I'm a developer and builder and I spent some time this morning talking with the folks that supply our cabinet shop and millwork folks with their finishes.  They will get me set up.  They have a guy that is a mad genius at matching colors, but instead of matching a specific color I think I'm going to just go for a fairly bright white.  I don't really want it to age, so will probably use an acrylic lacquer.  Still thinking about a black stripe, and think a carbon fiber look stripe or stripes would be sort of cool. 

I have a walk in gun vault that is climate and humidity controlled, so I put the guitar body and neck in there to acclimate a bit today.  I'm finishing a custom, industrial looking 1x12 speaker cabinet, so the guitar build will wait a bit.  I'm also doing a large scale cat tail metal sculpture for a friends pond and I should get it done before I start another project too.  I'm really looking forward to it. 

bassetman said:
That’s nice. I hit the Tri cites a few times a month.

We should meet up for a beverage some time.  My wife and I just got back from the blues festival in Coeur d'Alene.  Great event.

Back