P90 size humbuckers?

upnorthbacon

Looking at a good deal on a Gibson SG Classic which comes with the dual P90's.  I like the idea of the P90 in the neck but would like a little more thickness in the bridge.  The price is right on the guitar and I was wondering about the P90 size humbuckers?  I see Dimarzio makes the super distortion and tone zone in a P90 size?  I'm not looking to do metal, but heavier rock and I'm using a Blackstar Amp that has a lot of gain already.  Anyone have any experience with P90 humbuckers for a little more meat and gain?  Also I've owned tone zone and super distortion pickups but in alder bodied guitars, how would they sound through an all mahogany body sg?

Back in my rocker days, my main guitar was a early sixties SG Jr. When I bought it, it had the original P90, which I replaced with the one DiMarzio offered at the time. I LOVED IT! Enough punch and bite, especially for rhythm guitar, but roll off the volume a little and it mellowed out real nice.

Buy that guitar. Replace one of the pups, when you discover how much you love it, replace the other one. You won't be sorry.

I have an Epi LP with P90s that I replaced with DiMarzio humbucking P90s. They sound great and since they are 4 wire you can do series/parallel/split wiring. I ended up with the DP162 Deluxe Plus in the bridge, has a great mid honk but not too muddy sounding. I wired it with variable split (on the tone pot) so I have a wide range of tones from from full single coil to full humbucking. I have a DP209 Super Distortion in the neck (but I wired in parallel to add highs and lower the output). I originally had the SD in the bridge but it sounded a little too much like a typical humbucker to me there.

The Creamery makes one too, handwired and all that good stuff. He (Jaime) can do a lot of custom stuff too if you send him an email, very friendly guy!

http://www.at-the-creamery.co.uk/p90-sized-humbucker-pickups.html

Back