P90 - how does it work?

krzaqx

Hello
It's my first post here.. Im from Poland. Sorry for my poor english ;] i hope youll understand me ;]
So, could someone tell me how is the P90 pickup made? Why is it so wide? What does it have inside? Give me some schemes or something, cause i couldn't find anything interesting about it..

krzaqx said:
Hello
It's my first post here.. Im from Poland. Sorry for my poor english ;] i hope youll understand me ;]
So, could someone tell me how is the P90 pickup made? Why is it so wide? What does it have inside? Give me some schemes or something, cause i couldn't find anything interesting about it..

sizes can be found on www.seymourduncan.com. the bobbin inside is just big. that simple. big bobbin with a not-so-big magnet.

krzaqx said:
So its just a big single? Why is it so big?

thats due to its history. the was once a pickup we call the 'charlie christian pickup' nowadays. the p90 was supposed to look 'the same', and its just a big coil. its the way they were made. why is a strat singlecoil so small?

its indeed, one big single coil :)

so guys..i have a replica of what to be a gibson firebird..mahogany neck thru im thinking or putting a p90/soapbar in the bridge maybe seymour's sjm3 ( quater pund for jazzmaster )..the dc resistance is 12.97k (is this considered high?) n  the eq as i've seen in www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones is B:9  M:5  T:6 so what will the tone i mite be getting will it be muddy becoz the bass is high.. im looking forward for a warm dark n fat tone..is it possible with the seymour SJM3 ??

or if u guys have better suggestions..i would really love to hear n try...(maybe lindy fralins or rio grande's?)

PLEASEE !! im desparate for ur professional opinions... thanks guys  !!

P-90 Tone? This solo is played and originally recorded with a P-90 bridge position Firebird.

Did you know that?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CkTQUtx818w&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CkTQUtx818w&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mencari bukan mencuri said:
so guys..i have a replica of what to be a gibson firebird..mahogany neck thru im thinking or putting a p90/soapbar in the bridge maybe seymour's sjm3 ( quater pund for jazzmaster )..the dc resistance is 12.97k (is this considered high?) n  the eq as i've seen in www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones is B:9  M:5  T:6 so what will the tone i mite be getting will it be muddy becoz the bass is high.. im looking forward for a warm dark n fat tone..is it possible with the seymour SJM3 ??

or if u guys have better suggestions..i would really love to hear n try...(maybe lindy fralins or rio grande's?)

PLEASEE !! im desparate for ur professional opinions... thanks guys  !!

As far as I can tell, those SD B:M:T ratings don't mean jackshit... If you want to get serious about it, mahogany body/neck and a Rio Grande Jazzbar/Bluesbar set; FYI I think the original vintage version of the Firebird  with 2 P90s only came in the non-reverse body style (3 P90 version as well) somewhere around the mid-60s

krzaqx said:
Hello

Your English is plenty good enough. It's wide because Gibson wanted a fat, broad sounding pickup - good for all their jazz players. Basically, you've got a wide, shallow bobbin that takes about as much wire as a tele pickup, but spreads it out more. It uses TWO bar magnets, like from a humbucker for a large magnetic window. In the end there's less magnetic string pull than a strat type pickup but still good strength and a full range sound with plenty of power.

The P-90 was the first pickup gibson manufactured after the "Charlie Christian "  Pickup of the late 1930's- early 1940's- it was used on almost every early "Classic " Gibson electric Axe, from the es 5 switchmaster, the first Les Pauls ( till about '56 or '57 " soapbars") the early byrdlands, Sg Specials, Lp juniors, etc, the list goes on and on !!! What I like about the P 90 is the clearer tone - to me , Humbuckers seem "muddy" sounding - I still have a  late 1959 Es125tcd ( George Thorogood)  Gibson( " Brownie"  is her name !!!) been playing her since 1975 , will probably be buried with her !!! anyway, there is more of a blues tone ( think SRV, Thorogood, Freddie King, etc ) plenty of top end, but not the kind of country Tele, or strat twang - P 90s will pick up: hum from your computer, cb radio transmissions, ESPECIALLY if your neighbor has a huge linear amplifier, automobiles with bad plug wires, etc  almost any kind of electrical hum or noise that is generated !!!  output is : LOUD, PUNCHY, WARM  AND BLUESY , especially when playing through a tube amp- pure tone heaven !!!  Just my 2 cents worth  !!! Hope this helps- Also there are 2 versions of the P 90- Dog ear, which is on most hollow bodies, and Lp juniors, and Soap bar, which is on early Lp's, and Lp specials - Fyi - ES125TCD

meg58 said:
P-90 Tone? This solo is played and originally recorded with a P-90 bridge position Firebird.

Did you know that?
No, I didn't!  Cool.  I play it with a neck position humbucker with the tone at 1 or 2.

Back