P-RAILS!

nathan a

I'm really excited by the concept. I've heard mixed reviews, though. I need to try them out. There's gotta be a project for that...

Mor Paul

Well, the point of this is that the image isn't working :p

Seems like a good thing for an Sg if they work. Standard/special switching with one guitar.

R

RLW

The new Vintage Guitar has a review of them. They seemed to me to be choosing their words very carefully, so as not to offend.

Orpheo

RLW said:
The new Vintage Guitar has a review of them. They seemed to me to be choosing their words very carefully, so as not to offend.

lemme guess... great in promise, but in reality a disappointment? I'm losing my faith in these humbuckers. the p90 sound isn't really a p90 sound, the stratsound is convincing though, and the humbuckersound is great, but: I want that p90 sound!!

jackthehack

I had a build I was going to try them in - the VW shredder I did a while back - but they took forever to start actually shipping the product. There was another thread about these that had the YouTube promo video for them and a number of people expressed interest; anyone on the board actually buy/install a piece of these puppies yet?

stubhead

If you crave a classic tone, you'll use classic stuff. I like new tones so I'd be willing to give them a try. I mostly find if I have a lot of full-spectrum output power - 400+ watts dead clean - I can find a way to feed it good munchies. Good tone to me seems to be more subtractive than additive, assuming you're getting enough signal through in the first place.

Orpheo

jackthehack said:
I had a build I was going to try them in - the VW shredder I did a while back - but they took forever to start actually shipping the product. There was another thread about these that had the YouTube promo video for them and a number of people expressed interest; anyone on the board actually buy/install a piece of these puppies yet?

look at my post above. the humbucker and strat-sounds are very convincing, but the p90 sound is  absolutely not like a real one... unfortunately.

jackthehack

Orpheo said:
jackthehack said:

look at my post above. the humbucker and strat-sounds are very convincing, but the p90 sound is  absolutely not like a real one... unfortunately.

Sorry, thought you were quoting from review rather than giving personal review...

Orpheo

jackthehack said:
Orpheo said:
jackthehack said:

Sorry, thought you were quoting from review rather than giving personal review...

nop, sorry :) I've got one. I'm quite disappointed with the pickup. I've got a better idea of a prails-style pickup in my head, but I've got to figure it out how to make it. its kind-off like a REAL p90, 12k ohm, alnico5 magnet and an alnico2 magnet, with a very, very small coil (1k or something in that range) to buck the hum. a coiltap (not SPLIT) on the p90 coil, and that should give me a nice p90 tone, a softer, stratty-like tone, and a humbucker-tone, well... noiseless p90 tone.

stubhead

As it's a four-wire pickup, it would be easy enough to wire each coil with it's own volume control and see if there's an output-balancing issue. From what little I know about pickups, it seems as though the fields from each coil would have a tendency to mess with each other - especially if you try to hot-wire your own version. :toothy12:

Mor Paul

So, back to the original topic, the site's fixed. It now has useful information and the picture. Earlier, it just said Seymour Duncan P-Rails Humbucker" as a description for a picture that didn't work.

JamesL

I like em. I have a few pairs, they're great.

But I do find that the humbucker is a bit weak.