P/P pots instead of three way switch?

Heft

Is there is a way of putting on/off switches for the pick ups on my guitar in my volume/tone push/push pots instead of having a 3 way switch? What would this look like? I can't find any diagrams out there for this sort of thing.

Yes, but what ultimate pup combos are you looking for?i. Pps wear out faster than switches.

I was thinking of using one for each pickup and then using them to select bridge, bridge + neck or neck. Or toggling bridge+ both off and using it as a stuttering effect/kill switch.

Why not put in a dedicated kill switch? Easy peasy and easily swapped and will outlast pp pots.

Attachments

• I caved!.JPG
    I caved!.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 38
That's a much better solution than a PP Pot.  Plus you could put in a 5 way switch and get some funky combos.  Do people use funky anymore?  I heard a kid say, "that's cray cray!"  So  ... some cray cray combos, but I think that might be a little strong.

My question is: what’s the purpose of the guitar?

If you’re performing live, what you put forth is not ideal.  Even using slide switches (like on my Brian May), isn’t really practical to change mid song live.
It’s a neat concept and does allow the most possibilities, but how easily can you access them.  PP pots are potentially the slowest way to do it. 

Thinking and envisioning a PP pot as a kill switch results in reality where the apparent effect is you amp is shorting out.  Best to use a momentary switch for that.  2nd choice, use a pup switch to go though an ‘on’pup and an ‘off’ pup  That will require independent vol pots for your pups.

If you’re just in the bedroom playing with/by yourself , it may work, but still not ideal.

FYI: I’ll probably mod my Brian May so instead of 6 slide switches, I have 6 mini toggles.  Actually I may just go with a 10 position freeway switch. Either option would work infinitely better live than the current configuration.  Love the guitar though.

Thanks guys for the advice :yourock: . It seemed to simple to be true.

It would be simple enough to wire, but not really that practical as others have mentioned.

Back