P Bass body differences - '51 - '54 - '72 ?

Steve_Karl

Hi there,
I'm seeing 4 different choices for P Bass bodies at warmoth.com but I'm not finding a description of the differences.
P Bass - '51 P Bass - '54 P Bass - '72 P Bass

Can someone point me to a URL that tells the story?

Also, if I was wanting to duplicate a '65 P bass would I choose '54?

Thank you!

51 is a slab body. 54 got contours. In 72 it got more rounded and the control plate change to accommodate a top jack rather than a side jack.

Thanks TBurst.
This helps date the one I owned as close to '63 as I'm sure it had clay dots and a strap button on the back of the head stock.

Also, looking at photos of pick guards
cc0sroelnwt6ph8sobeh.jpg

it seems I'll need to get the P Bass body to match the location of controls and 1/4" jack.
I appreciate your help!

Steve

Also, if I was wanting to duplicate a '65 P bass would I choose '54?

You would choose the regular P-Bass.

51 is a slab body. 54 got contours. In 72 it got more rounded and the control plate change to accommodate a top jack rather than a side jack.

* '51 - Slab, "Tele bass", Tele-like one coil PU, chrome control plate
* '54 - Slab, "Tele bass" with belly and arm contours, Tele-like one coil PU, chrome control plate
* P Bass - this is the classic '57 style with large pickguard, top mounted jack, and split-coil PU, but it is probably not period correct, like other Wamorth bodies it is optimized to allow custom options
* '72 - edesigned pickguard to match look of the '72 Tele Thineline, Custom, and Deluxe, with a side jack

Last edited:
Back