72 Pbass (telecaster bass) uhm, pickup routing wrong?

jacquesDR

https://warmoth.com/index.php/bass-bodies/72-p-bass
These are their offerings. 

This is a 72-75 pbass (tele bass)

Is there a modification you can request to get one of these?

Attachments

• 72 pbass.JPG
    72 pbass.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 72
Well your description and the pic don’t agree.  Your pic is based upon a slab side 51 Pbass (notice there is no forearm contour)

The builder will allow for a neck pup choice of a Rio Grande Power bucker.
While that’s not the pup in the pic, it is closer. 

The question is, what neck pup do you want to use?  Hard to tell from the pic, but it appears related to either a Darkstar or a Gibby Mudbucker.

Okay, so yes it is a 72 telecaster bass.  The pickup is a wide range humbucker. Not a darkstar.  It's an OEM Fender pickup.  These were the pickups on the 72-75 tele bass. 

So well rather than the crowd jumping in to correct me, maybe you have an answer as to whether or not Warmoth will produce one or allows for a mod of this one.  The reason why I mentioned the pbass in the first place. 

https://warmoth.com/index.php/bass-bodies/72-p-bass 

It’s not crowd jumping to note descriptions that don’t allow for an appropriate response for the purposes of getting more details. IE: in this case pickup identification.

So the question you have is actually, will the W route for a Fender WR HB.  Well they don’t list it so a call to the W seems the best course of action.

Along the way you also received other information. The W doesn’t offer a neck humbucker style route on a 72 P Bass but do on a 51.

There was no crowd. TBurstStd was asking you some questions and mentioned that your picture which you stated:

This is a 72-75 pbass (tele bass)

To which TBurstStd suggested that:

Well your description and the pic don’t agree.  Your pic is based upon a slab side 51 Pbass (notice there is no forearm contour)

I pointed out for the factual benefit of yourself and anyone reading the thread that "Its neither year of P bass it is a Tele bass, different animal. One is not the other." 

So rather than getting defensive and critical towards people trying to help, you could simply have articulated and clarified what appears now to be the original ask which was will Warmoth rout a P Bass type body be it a 72 or 51 with a Tele Bass type rout such as in the picture?

Either call or email Warmoth sales, but I would think your best bet may turn out to be routing or having the body routed yourself and having a pickguard made, or to buy a Fender reissue with such a body.

My guess is…no. A build like this isn’t off-the-shelf.

Arm counter (or lack of): The arm counter is probably built into the CNC model and not an option to remove it.

Pickup rout: With a rare-ish PU with no aftermarket options, Warmoth probably doesn’t rout for it. You would probably have to have the PU rout done by someone after you got the body and them would have to custom make the router template.

Pickguard: Because of the larger PU, the Warmoth PG would be too narrow, a PG would have to be ordered from someone who cuts them custom.

But only Warmoth CS can confirm any of  this.

Back