Output jack on a rear routed body

line6man

Epic Member
i am planning out a rear routed jazz bass body...

warmoth said that i would need long shaft pots, which will be fine for the knobs, but what do i do with the output jack???

do they make a long shaft output jack or something?

it looks like i would have to drill out the area around the hole to make the hole not as deep, is that the only way?

Usually the output jack comes out the side edge of the body on a rear-route.  In that case, you can mount the jack to a football plate or the like, and fasten the plate to the body. 

DocNrock said:
Usually the output jack comes out the side edge of the body on a rear-route.  In that case, you can mount the jack to a football plate or the like, and fasten the plate to the body. 

its very important for me to have a top mounted jack, so the whole side jack thing is out of the question.

line6man said:
DocNrock said:

its very important for me to have a top mounted jack, so the whole side jack thing is out of the question.

If you want a top mounted jack on a rear routed body, you'll need to use something like one of the deep panel jacks like the DPJ1 jack on this page: http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/parts/parts.cfm?fuseaction=include_jacks

jackthehack said:
line6man said:
DocNrock said:

If you want a top mounted jack on a rear routed body, you'll need to use something like one of the deep panel jacks like the DPJ1 jack on this page: http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/parts/parts.cfm?fuseaction=include_jacks

i thought of that, but they look like they are way too long to fit in the body...
the end would stick out from the back and i wouldnt be able to screw the cover on.

Strat jack?

S6300088-1-1.jpg

Works for me :blob7:

stubhead said:
Strat jack?

S6300088-1-1.jpg

Works for me :blob7:

can warmoth do the route for a strat jack on a jazz bass?

i dont think that a strat jack would look good on my bass though.

I have a rear routed back and a frontplate on my JB...
I drilled 1 or 2 mm out from the inside to make the output jack fit.
It took about 5 minutes with a Dremel...

I did the strat jack hole myself, drill a bunch of holes, connect them with a keyhole saw, hog it out with a wood rasp. To use a conventional jack you'll either have to thin the wood down (like for a strat switch), or work up some kind of a surround ring to screw to the wood, and a hole big enough for the jack to clear. I don't know of a "deep", conventional-type jack with enough clearance to get through the wood - seems like the prongs wouldn't clear the wood.

is there a reputable luthier that i could have do this?
i also need to get a 3 way strat style blade switch routed in, so i am hoping to have it done professionally.

if i screw up, i am out $500, but if someone else screws up, they have to buy me a new body...

If you call/email Warmoth, they may be able to do the Strat jackplate routing, but the 3-way switch in guitar bodies installs in a thinner route internal to the control cavity. If they would do either, there's probably an upcharge involved. Be a LOT easier to drill a 1/2" control hole and use a Gibson style 3-way toggle switch.

I wouldn't recommend thinning the top wood to accommodate a top mounted jack - you're simply asking for trouble when you snag your cord on something and it exerts force on the jack ... and cracks your top. thinning the top for a pot/switch is one thing, a jack is something entirely different. and for the record, I've seen several cracked tops where some accident happened and the pot had force applied in a way it wasn't designed for (think about theose guys at Brown who lovingly caress you instrument from when they receive it to when they ever so gently body slam it onto your porch)

just my two Indian Rupees. I know all may not agree, but as a builder I stand behind my work (and the answers I share here reflect what I'd share with a client)

R

well, what can i do then?

maybe i should have them both top and rear route the body, so that i can mount everything to a standard jazz bass control plate, but still be able to have the rear routing for the 3 way switch.

do you guys see any problems with doing a bass both top and rear routed?

I've done the top + rear routing before (modded a top routed J to add a preamp and battery holder) and it worked out just fine. if looks force you to having a top mounted jack, this could be a solid option if W can do this for you (which I believe they can)

R

SkuttleFunk said:
I've done the top + rear routing before (modded a top routed J to add a preamp and battery holder) and it worked out just fine. if looks force you to having a top mounted jack, this could be a solid option if W can do this for you (which I believe they can)

R

cool!

i already talked to warmoth about this once, and they said they can do it, but theres an upcharge for it (i cant remember how much off hand)

ok, so i guess that i have my answer to this problem now.

" if looks force you to having a top mounted jack"

actually, its not about looks.

i like to play sitting on the couch sometimes, and  the way i position my guitar while laying back on the couch makes it a huge pain in the ass to have a side jack...
especially if you are using straight cables.

also, i just find it easier to see what i am doing when the jack is on top.
i always have to fiddle around to get the cable in the jack unless i flip the guitar over.

I would insert a rude comment about how real musicians should never have issues getting their plugs into the hole, but I'm too tired this morning.

jackthehack said:
I would insert a rude comment about how real musicians should never have issues getting their plugs into the hole, but I'm too tired this morning.

a real musician would be playing their guitar instead of spending all their time on the internet.
:laughing7:
(im just kidding)

line6man said:
jackthehack said:

a real musician would be playing their guitar instead of spending all their time on the internet.
:laughing7:
(im just kidding)

...or the couch.  (i'm just kiding too)

I wanted to cram some rocket science wiring into my rear-route Telecaster - concentric pots and a five-way superswitch plus some other stuff, and I couldn't figure out any way other than to cut a hole in the top too.

FirstAct001.jpg

There's still a section of wood inside underneath that piece of pickguard, but I'm not worried about the strength anyway unless I have to use it to beat down the hordes of adoring groupies (ahem - "bring it on!") It doesn't look like a "real" Telecaster, but then with a scalloped fretboard and heavy-metal humbucker it never did look like a real Telecaster. :dontknow:

Back