Output jack on a rear routed body

i was thinking abut this last night...

if its rear and top routed, the wood that the control plate mounts down to isnt going to be all that thick...
do i have a thick enough piece of wood left so that i wouldnt need to worry about cracking the wood out (the way that i would with thinning the wood under the output jack).
and will the screws be able to hold onto the wood because they are only going to be screwed into a little bit of wood.

how thick the wood on a rear routed body?

you should have roughly 1/4" of wood to mount your top plate to. if you plan to repeatedly remove/install the top plate you could always use threaded inserts and machine screws to secure it

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
you should have roughly 1/4" of wood to mount your top plate to. if you plan to repeatedly remove/install the top plate you could always use threaded inserts and machine screws to secure it

all the best,

R

being as its both top and rear routed, i would have no reason to ever remove the control plate.

so i should use the threaded inserts so that the screws would be able to grip onto the wood, even though its only a 1/4" thick.
but would i have any issue with the wood cracking or something if i pulled on the output jack too hard?

where would i get threaded inserts?
i have seen a few high end guitars/basses that had threaded inserts for the rear route covers. and i really liked the idea.

since this will be a once on, stays on installation you're safe using just the wood screws - so long as you don't overtighten them.

all the best,

R

Back